RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » X-Country Trip--I'm Back!

Author Topic: X-Country Trip--I'm Back!
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can is WOW!! What a trip! I loved it!

The LSL portion was fine--I am very familiar with NYP to Utica. I had a roommette (Room 2), and the car attendant (CoCo) was very friendly and efficient. By the time I was in unfamiliar territory, it was dark, but I did get glimpses of the Erie Canal. It was a good trip.

Once in CHI, I had time to do a little exploring. I stepped outside of the station, and was amazed by the waterway running through the city. (My camera made its first appearance!)I need to explore CHI when I have more time. It looks like a great place! I did some walking around in the station, found the Great Hall and was just such a tourist! I sat for awhile, gazing up at the remarkable ceiling and all around. What a station this is!

On the SWC, we left CHI on time. I settled into my bedroom on the upper level Room E. My attendant was Sharon--and she was absolutely fantastic! She was so warm and welcoming that I felt as if I were visiting a friend's house. The Superliner was beautiful! The car was so much newer than any Viewliner I had ridden in. The rooms were trimmed with wood paneling and looked very nice with the dark blue on the sofa. My room was in great condition, and right next to me was a sort of beverage station, with a large coffee pot, juices, water. A table was set up nearby with cups, creamers, etc. I was very impressed with the Superliner.

The food onboard was actually good. I had salmon both nights, and enjoyed it very much. Much better than the Silver trains. Lunch and breakfast, were good, too.

Now, onto the highlight of my trip! The scenery just blew me away! I could not believe the beauty of the plains and the desert! (This was my first time out west--it will not be my last!) I had my camera out and ready, and I took lots of pictures. I flew from the window in my room to the window in the hallway--I did not want to miss anything. Unfortunately, darkness came all too soon, but I was up early the next day to continue watching all the wonderful sights passing by.

In ABQ, I purchased a few pairs of earrings from the Indians on the platform to start off my holiday shopping. I then walked to the Coldstone Creamery for ice cream, and I did treat my car attendant to some. I got two flavors: pumpkin and black cherry, and gave her first choice. She seemed very appreciative. (She did not have an easy time, as there were a few very rude people on board.)

I had planned on riding the train to LAX, then hop on the Surfliner to ANA. A friend was going to meet me there, but she called and asked if I could detrain in Fullerton, as it would be better for her, and actually closer to our hotel. So, I did. (I really wanted to stay on the train, though.)

We spent several days in Disneyland, then took the Surfliner to SanDiego to visit the zoo. More gorgeous scenery, as we sat on the side nearest the ocean. Wow! it was great, but on our return trip, the sun was setting, and again were had "oceanside" seats. Amazing!

We drove to Hollywood for a daytrip. It was kind of fun to see all the craziness.

I detected a big difference in the attitudes of the Amtrak employees who work on the east coast (Silver route and NE corridor) vs. those I encountered on this trip. On the east coast, most aren't as friendly and efficient--they seem to have "it's only a job" sort of thinking, whereas the midwest to California route employees, seem sincere and caring. Not one surly person was seen. (My last east coast Amtrak trip had been in Jan 07.)

Thank you for all of your suggestions. They were very helpful.

This trip was more wonderful than I ever thought it would be. I feel so fortunate that I was able to experience such a dream trip. It was absolutely amazing to see field after field for miles and miles, then watch as they slowly became desert and mountains. The colors of pale yellow and green of the abundant sagebrush, and the terracotta hills against a clear blue sky were just breathtaking.

I need to go back...

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great report!! I felt as if I were with you. I have often thought that itis too bad that more people don't travel in the U S and Canada. People rush off to Europe,Asia, or Mexico and they don't have a clue what is in their own back yard.
As to the attendents you are partially right. A conductor once told me he would not have a crew member on his train who was based in New York. He said they seem to have an "attitude". I have found great ones on both the Capitol and the Cardinal and several miserable ones in the west. Your descriptions are so vivid. Are you a writer?

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you had the good fortune of riding in a rebuilt Superliner I. There are relatively few of these in the system.

I've not had any experiences with Amtrak in the east, save for one trip on a Metroliner in 1976. But I've read enough reports to verify the east-west friendliness pattern.

Thanks for the report.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time, maybe try making the trip into The San Francisco Bay area. The Chicago to Bay Area train is, in my estimation, the most scenic. If Chicago to LA blew your mind...try the Chicago to Bay Area train!!! You go right through the heart of the Rocky Mountains AND the Sierra Nevada's.
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the excellent report! I agree with train lady---you make the reader feel like he/she is right there with you viewing the scenery.

The 'Southwest Chief', the 'California Zephyr', and the 'Empire Builder' are as much a national treasure as the national parks are. They give folks a close-up view of some of this country's most beautiful scenery. [Smile]

Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report--I'm glad you had such a nice trip! And you even found the Coldstone Creamery----excellent! Very nice of you to think of your attendant...I'm sure she really appreciated it.

The Superliner I refurb car that you were in is really nice. When they refurbished those cars, they re-engineered the modular bathrooms and somehow made them a lot bigger. Very noticeable difference between the original and the refurb model.

Thanks again for the report!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
The Superliner I refurb car that you were in is really nice. When they refurbished those cars, they re-engineered the modular bathrooms and somehow made them a lot bigger. Very noticeable difference between the original and the refurb model.

For those who haven't experienced the difference, CLICK HERE.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mdm Mim -- great trip report!!! Thanks so much for sharing! You were lucky to be on one of AMTRAK's best LD trains - the Southwest Chief (the other "best" LD is the Empire Builder). Glad you had a good trip!! Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the western crews being friendlier than the eastern crews. I have seen that for as many years as I have been riding AMTRAK, and you are right; however, all crews (east and west) are generally "better" now than they were 30 years ago!!

BTW, the "waterway running through the city" next to Chicago Union Station is the Chicago River -- as you left CUS on the SWC, you crossed it once again a couple miles south of the station

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report! Glad to hear you had such a great travel experience.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your kind words. I figured a report was the least I could do, as you took the time to respond to my planning questions.

I will be heading south in January on the SS, but the SWC and the Superliner have spoiled me for future train travel.

RRRich--thanks for letting me know that the waterway is the Chicago River. I had no idea the river was AT the station. (First "Wow" of the trip.)

This was supposed to have been a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but now I have been giving some thought to taking another trip on a different route. RRRich suggests EB, and Amtraxmaniac enjoys the CZ. I won't be able to do this for a few years, so I have time to research and decide. I'd like to travel when there is more daylight, though, as I missed a lot due to darkness.

Hopefully in a few years, I can head west again.

Thanks again for all your help in making this trip so great.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madm Mim: Wonderful trip report, so glad you enjoyed everything!

The SW Chief was my first western too and has a special place in my heart, the scenery was glorious, like being on another planet for me, those red rocks. . . . who needs Sedona when you can ride Amtrak, eh? For your next trip: What you want to do is go out on the Zephyr (this gets my #1 scenery vote, when it's not too late and good time of year lightwise and no detours), then N on the Coast Starlight to Portland (or maybe Eugene) (morning to Eugene all gorgeous), then back on the Empire Builder (Glacier Park fabulous, and this has nicest Mississippi crossing).Optimum time lightwise for the trip I : May, June, July. Re Zephyr, you might either (a) go all the way to Emeryville/San Francisco (you may want to overnight in hotel in Emeryville since Zephyr is always so late and then go into SF proper next morning), staying in SF area at least 2 full days (3 nights); then catch shuttle to Oakland to catch the Coast Starlight N; or (b) change from Zephyr to Coast Starlite in Sacramento, enjoying Old Town during the layover esp if it's still light (in fact, if you get in early enough, can visit train museum; capitol also nice). Esp if you do the train change in Sacramento, rather than the SF stop, you'll want to spend a couple of nights in Colorado, probably Denver (or with Boulder) or maybe Glenwood Springs (I've never been but if you stay 2 nights I believe you can take a bus to and from Aspen to see that too); and you definitely need to overnight in Oregon; if you try to go straight from Coast Starlight to Empire Builder you may wind up on a long bus ride to Pasco (groan groan). BEsides, you don't want to get "train lag."

When you explore Chicago, one thing you want to do is take the architecture tour by boat; the one offered by the architecture association in the Santa Fe Building across Michigan Av from the art institute (you can get ticket probably discounted from hotel concierge); it leaves from Lower Michigan and Wacker bridge (same place where Kevin Costner convinced Sean Connery to help him in The Untouchables). It goes on the Chicago river & its offshoots (some of these may technically be canals, not river) all over downtown & makes Chicago seem like VEnice with skyscrapers. You can also catch a water taxi back to Union Station from, for instance, Navy Pier (though I personally am not a fan of Navy Pier, it's like any county fair!). If you are just doing a layover in Chi between trains, you want to get down to the lake if possible. For dining, I now recommend Greektown, the other direction on Adams, Greek Isles or Rodity have fab moussaka, quite inexpensive, open 7 days.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to have your enthuiastic report. My wife and I have taken that trip many times to visit our son in San Diego. We'll be doing it again in a couple of weeks!

The Viewliners are Amtrak's most recently built sleeping cars, but you had a Superliner I sleeper and those have just been completely redone. As mentioned above, they include many improvements.

The section you missed from Fullerton to Los Angeles is all urban development and nothing special, athough the station is quite an impressive building. A few years ago if I arranged a trip to San Diego, the computer would have us changing at Fullerton. Recently, though, the change point is Los Angeles. Of course a person can specifically request Fullerton. The Surfliner upon leaving Los Angeles comes right back though Fullerton!

I enjoy the superliners much more than the eastern single-level trains, like the Lake Shore. I spend a lot of time in the Sightseer Lounge (which you did not mention, by the way). There is no equivalent car on the Lake Shore. There is a lounge, but it services people who buy food there and provides a spot for the conductor to lay out his papers. I feel more confined to my compartment.

On a trip last week on the LSL, I walked the whole train one time. This is awkward as there are always people in the aisles going to and fro. Also, as you walk toward the back of the train, everyone looks up at you.

I agree that the scenery from Denver west on the California Zephyr is something you should experience. Also, any trip on Amtrak is best in the summer when daylight is at its maximum. However, that is also the busy season - trains are full, lots of kids are around and fares are higher. (Lest someone think I don't like kids, we did have 5 of our own - but that was some time ago [Smile]

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great trip report. Our first trip was on the Empire Builder westbound--California Zephyr eastbound. The scenery was magnificent and for the most part, the staff were great. We are heading west again in January via CZ, then a trip on the Coast Starlight and home on the SWC. Looking forward to stopping in ABQ. An old friend lives there and is going to stop by the station to say hello. Maybe we can enjoy a Coldstone together while we chat. There is nothing like an Amtrak ride across America!!!
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page