RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » question about emeryville hotel

Author Topic: question about emeryville hotel
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All, I'll be taking the CZ out to Emeryville in late May and the next day onto the CS. Any cheap hotel near the Emeryville station? I mean under $60? Hey, I've backpacked in Asia so run-down is nothing to me. [Smile]
Thanks

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under $60??? In Emeryville??? Whew....good luck! [Smile] In case you're not familiar with the Emeryville area, it's basically located at the foot of the Bay Bridge. This means that the hotels in this area will generally cater to the business traveler---on a business budget (not a backpacker's budget). In my opinion, I think the only way you will get the rate you're seeking is by getting VERY lucky and trying a service such as Priceline.com, where you can bid on a hotel at the rate you want---and then see what happens. But as far as booking directly with a hotel, I'd be very surprised if that rate is offered anywhere around there. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, but I think that's fairly solid information.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't personally recommend this, but you might want to take a look at:

http://sanfranciscohostel.org/index.html

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys, for the link. I took a look, but I've heard some negative things about this hostel; a better one downtown isthe San Francisco Downtown Youth Hostel. They even have private rooms. Clean and close to everything. BUT I would prefer not to go into town. Looks like I may have to though.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll likely get in late to Emeryville, and running into downtown SF for just the 1 night wil be pretty hectic. Why don't you change trains in Sacramento instead? You'll see the scenic bits on the Zephyr, get in earlier for the change, maybe even have time to see the RR museum (but that's unlikely, I predict a post-5PM arrival!). So if you aren't going into SF anyway, why bother with Emeryville? You don't even have to overnight if you go to SAC and are catching the northbound CS (am not sure re southbound).
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea Sojourner. We are getting off in Sacramento from the CZ this winter and then hopping on the southbound CS the next morning (6:30am). Some decent hotels near the station (Vagabond Inn comes to mind) and decent places to eat nearby as well. A much better choice than Emeryville
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get on the Coast Starlight, will you be going north or south? If you're going north (train #14), that train comes through Emeryville around 10PM or so-----and your California Zephyr train will get into Emeryville just a few hours before that (if it's on-time, which it has been lately). This means you would not need a hotel.

If you are going south on the Coast Starlight (train #11), then the Sacramento idea is a good one, because you will find cheaper hotels in that area (such as the Vagabond Inn). As long as you have no plans to visit San Francisco, then there's really no need to come all the way to Emeryville---it will be dark anyway, so there won't be any sights to see from the train. Just a thought....

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Sojourner and Smitty.

Sacramento is a much more economical than Emeryville. The Vagabond Inn across the street will probably run you about $90 to $100 which is likely better than most anything you'll find downtown within a couple of hours of the Bay Area.

To get closer to your price range there is the possibility of the light rail connecting to the city bus to a Red Roof Inn on the outskirts of town. That will be closer to the figure you have in mind.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Sacramento might work! Thank you all for your responses and advice. I'll look into the hotel prices; no, I don't need to see downtown SFO since was there twice recently. I'll give the Sacramento idea a go.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page