RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Delay

Author Topic: Coast Starlight Delay
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(12/4/07 - 1:30 PM)

I'm an amateur radio operator. I just worked a station near Portland, Oregon. He mentioned some delays in the Coast Starlight due to a major storm going through Oregon. He said he read, this morning in the Portland Oregonian, that there is major track damage around the Centralia, WA area. Water damage, flooding, trees and other debris on the track. The newspaper said it might be, at least, a couple of more days before the Amtrak trains can run through the Centralia area. I went to the Amtrak web site and nothing mentioned. Has anyone heard any further information?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all there, here is a copy:

Amtrak Service in the Pacific Northwest Disrupted Tuesday, December 4, Due to Extreme Weather

December 3, 2007
5:30 pm PDT

Due to extreme weather in the Pacific Northwest resulting in downed trees, mudslides and the closure of Interstate I-5 in the Olympia and Chehalis, WA area, Amtrak Cascades service between Portland and Vancouver, BC, will be cancelled Tuesday, December 4, with no alternate transportation. Other Amtrak services will also be affected.

Cascades

Train service on the Amtrak Cascades service (Portland - Seattle - Vancouver, BC) will be cancelled on Tuesday with no alternate transportation. Normal train service will operate between Eugene and Portland.

Coast Starlight

The Coast Starlight will terminate at Eugene with alternate transportation only between Eugene and Portland. There will be no alternate transportation between Portland and Seattle.

Amtrak is contacting affected passengers to alert them of the cancellations. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Vicki. I almost was thinking the Portland Oregonian was exaggerating the degree of delay. Looks like the big storm did a lot of damage. I hope, here in Northern Calif, we get a lot of rain from it.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And us too! We really need it. I could change my signature then.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the reason Amtrak is not providing alternative transportation is because Interstate 5 was also closed by flooding in the same area. Nobody's getting through.

I don't understand why the Starlight is terminating in Eugene and not Portland.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Mr. Toy, on our recent trip on the CS with a derailment causing bustitution from Seattle to Eugene it was noted that Eugene is a better stop for crew changes and cleaning, etc., to turn around as the #11.

By the way, I am still waiting for a refund of AGR points for that trip. My last call concluded with a "supervisor will call you". That was 10 days ago, no call yet. I think the AGR area is very unresponsive other than for taking phone calls and booking straight forward trips. They are also not applying the current bonus points to mileage as promised in a recent email and do not reply to emails about the issue.

As far as alternate transport in the current situtation, the recent derailment and snow problems on the Canadian resulted in offers of airline flights, an actual alternative transport. Seems that would be workable for Amtrak's current problem with the tracks and the highway. Amtrak is using the same technique as our local light rail. When an accident closed down the Blue Line last week as we were on our way to Staples Center for a basketball game, we were dumped out on the street with no buses, no instructions. We found a cab and made it to the game but it was plenty expensive.

--------------------

rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachsewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one have any idea how long this disruption will last? My daughter and I are scheduled to leave Tacoma on the Starlight to Sacremento on Thurs. Dec 13th. How bad is the damage, should I try to make other plans???
Posts: 20 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenchappell
Member # 2245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenchappell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak site says Starlight service to be resumed Thursday (6th) but some delays expected !
Posts: 28 | From: Bristol England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Mr. Toy, on our recent trip on the CS with a derailment causing bustitution from Seattle to Eugene it was noted that Eugene is a better stop for crew changes and cleaning, etc., to turn around as the #11.

Eugene overnights a Cascades consist, so they may have some turnaround capabilities. However, Portland cleans, services and stocks the Empire Builder, so one would think it more suitable for turning the Starlight.

And don't the operational crews also work out of Portland? I've never seen crews change at Eugene.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because a train overnights at a location, doesn't mean that location has turn around capabilities. As with many corridors in California...the equipment on the Cascades route is capable of push-pull or cab operations.

Portland DOES seem more suitable for turnaround regardless. All I could think about, maybe it has something to do with the timetable and crew scheduling. Turning around in Eugene from 14 to 11 makes more logical sense as far as timekeepings concerned.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachsewell
Member # 4339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachsewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My local news this morning says the Starlight is going!!! YAHOOOO! Expect delays that's OK as long can I get on!
Posts: 20 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page