RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Roomette Question

Author Topic: Roomette Question
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trip this weekend on the Empire Builder will be the first when I am sharing a roomette (it's only one night & we wanted to save a little $$$). My question is: when the upper berth is made up for the night, it there enough headroom to sit upright on the lower berth if you're not too tall?

As a frame of reference, I could sit upright on the lower berth of the bedroom with the lower berth down (because it squeaked so much it was better to have it down for the whole CHI-LAX trip). I'm hoping to have the same amount of "headroom".

I'm happy to hear that better menus are back & will report when we return.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy,

I'm 6'3" and have no problem sitting up in the lower berth when the upper is open, which is where I usually leave my suitcase. You shouldn't have a problem. There is one other issue that needs bearing in mind: when the lower bed is made up, there's a hole in the wall where your pillow goes which makes it hard to prop yourself up comfortably...no wall to put your pillow against and lean against. I use my briefcase or laptop case to fill up that hole which allows the pilloow to be in the right position for reading in bed, or looking out the window. I don't know that I'm describing the physical set-up clearly, but maybe some of our other readers can help out here.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not precisely a hole, but I know just what you mean, Mr Black--the space behind which you your head rests is still fairly forward, but where your back rests it's quite a lot of space, so that it's hard to sit up and read. Your briefcase idea sounds like a good one; I sometimes use my overnight bag back behind my pillow to prop it out far enough to make sitting comfortable. Or sometimes I ask the car attendant for an extra pillow, if there is one. Or sometimes I just read laying down!

BTW, with 2 people in one roomette, I'd say you want to minimize your time with the beds made up for the night, because it really is pretty crowded then.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing we found if there is an empty roomette or bedroom sometimes the attendent will let you sit there if one wants to read and the other wants to sleep. Also they have let us use the extra room to dress in. It never hurts to ask!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt that on the Saturday before Christmas there will be an empty room, but you can bet if there is, it would make a dandy dressing room.
My daughter and I know the roomette will definitely be a little too cozy for comfort, but we plan lots of Scrabble, reading & listening to our individual iPods (dueling karaoke??) and perhaps competitive ankle-kicking. Our discomfort may also be eased by the train "care package" given her by her secretary which includes tiny bottles of brandy & Kahlua, hot cocoa mix, and assorted chocolates! (I'm thinking I may have to augment it so we have something to enjoy on the way back!
I wonder if they are still having the wine tasting now that things are looking up in the diner?

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy--

Wine tasting in the diner----yup----still there! Although brandy and Kahlua sounds like a better plan to me. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, smitty195, I wasn't thinking either/or - I was thinking BOTH!

--------------------

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy, are you making this trip with your daughter who plays bagpipes?

Has Amtrak adopted the entertainment ideas we suggested in 2006?

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4173.html

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Yes, this is the bagpiping daughter - however she is not bringing her pipes. Sadly(?) she has given up the pipes for the mountain dulcimer, and no instruments are going with us - just snowshoes. No ponies either!

So if anyone else will be on 7(22), I'm sorry say there will be no pipers to entertain - at least I don't think so! We'll be in roomette 6.

--------------------

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance changing her mind about the bagpipes? If not, why don't you introduce your fellow travelers to drum therapy?

Whatever. But have a great trip. I hope you enjoy the Izaak Walton Inn. I'm looking forward to a detailed report upon your return.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
Yes, this is the bagpiping daughter - however she is not bringing her pipes. Sadly(?) she has given up the pipes for the mountain dulcimer, and no instruments are going with us - just snowshoes. No ponies either!

So if anyone else will be on 7(22), I'm sorry say there will be no pipers to entertain - at least I don't think so! We'll be in roomette 6.

You know, mountain dulcimers often seem to be made of wood that looks exactly like the paneling you will encounter at the Izak Walton Inn.

I hope that you have a great trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was once on a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan with several NYC police bagpipers performing inside because of rain. Much as I like bagpipes, from that experience, I'd say for train performances I'd definitely opt for the mountain dulcimer.

I had wine tasting on the Empire Builder when I was on it in May. If you have enough wine tasting + kahlua +brandy, be sure to get everyone singing. I would say, since you are going to Montana, you should sing cowboy songs. There is that one about going to Montana to throw the hooly-ann (hoolian?), "I Ride an Old Paint."

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
No one would call the bagpipe an indoor instrument, although there is at least one orchestral piece that uses a solo bagpipe. And who could forget that community theater production of Brigadoon. Her pipe band would practice in a church basement in the winter & would peel the paint from the walls (she wore ear plugs).

Dod you know that the bagpipe may be the only purely offensive weapon? Pipes were used by the Scots to scare their enemies before battle - even in WWI. And if you look closely, you will notice that most pipers have a knife tucked in their knee sock, and the bass drummer probably carries a sword. And one more "fun fact" - many of the bagpipes you see (especially decorative ones for mounting over your fireplace) are made in India or Pakistan. Colleen's band got hers from Canada.

And now I've completely lost my "train" of thought!

--------------------

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm told that bagpipers at a police funeral produce a sound so mournful that one cannot help weeping.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Mr. Kisor - if you need a bagpipe fix & can't wait for a police funeral, their band usually plays at graduation ceremonies at U of Chicago (at least they did for my son's PhD commencement in March 1994)

One of my daughter's friends from pipe band played at her Dad's memorial service & many people commented on it.

Colleen has played pipes for weddings & golf tournaments as well as a display of the AIDS Quilt Project.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page