RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » So whos going to La Plata the 23rd of Feb?

Author Topic: So whos going to La Plata the 23rd of Feb?
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, sorry if this was already posted, so who from this Forum is gonna be there? Im curios

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jonathon,

I won't be there this time. If it was during the warmer months, then I would go. But it's too cold in La Plata in February for me! [Smile]

Andy
(I know that Carl Morrison will be there though)

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will get there with Steve and Barbara on the 22nd and leave on Train 4 on the night of the
23rd. Should be fun!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatly I'll be up in Oregon that weekend otherwise I'd try to be there. One thing Jonathon.............DON'T MISS THE TRAIN!

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tommers207:
One thing Jonathon.............DON'T MISS THE TRAIN!

But those beds at the Depot Inn are soooooo comfy! LOL!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I booked the Depot Inn last month, and I still need to take care of my Amtrak & airfare before the fares get high!

Yes, yes Andy I know you like our warm California weather. [Smile]

See you all there for the 3rd time!
Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Depot Inn is officially on my 'to do' list now.....maybe in conjunction with seeing the museum in the Kansas City Union Station.

I think I'll wait for warmer weather myself but I have to admit that it would be fun to meet some of you TrainWebbers.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smitty....I'll be on the CS Feb 17 to Portland. At which point of my journey should I wave out the window to ya?

Tom

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I just put it on my calendar to remind me. If I can swing it, I'll stop by OKJ and say hello since it's a service stop for #14. Although that's the day of the Daytona 500 (first race of the NASCAR season), but all of the post-race stuff should be over by then. If #14 is relatively on-time, I should be there. But if it's running late, I won't go since the drive through part of that town for me is a little dangerous late at night. The station area is fine---it's just the area I would need to go through to get there. I'm always armed (legally) if I'm in that area at night, but still, it's best to avoid something in advance if possible. [Smile]

Here's my email: asmith195@comcast.net

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:

Yes, yes Andy I know you like our warm California weather. [Smile]

And don't forget, I also like the summer weather in Las Vegas!!! [Cool]
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's going on in La Plata on the 23rd of Feb.????

If I'm allowed to ask.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by 4021North:
What's going on in La Plata on the 23rd of Feb.????

Here ya go:

http://www.trainweb.com/depotinn/2008feb23.html

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The opening of the Exhibition of Amtrak History and the La Plata Event Center.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol That wont happen again lol, I get there on there 22nd and leave on the 23rd, My birthsay is on The 26th, I will still be on the returning train when its my birthday, that will be fun

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Hey Jonathon, you planning on doing Chris' Million Amtrak miles trip?

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try to come by for an overnight visit-- probably while heading east on my winter trip to Galesburg to see my pals at the Rail House there...it looks like the guys in La Plata have done a lot of work to make this operation a success-- congratulations to the team!
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
When is Chris' Million Mile Amtrak trip? I think we'll need some new t-shirts for that trip! [Smile]

Does anyone know if Chris will ride the one Amtrak train that he hasn't ridden yet, before the one million Amtrak miles (the Auto Train)?

birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being nosey, I just checked availability for the 22nd and 23rd, and the hotel has no vacancy!
Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Since the Depot Inn is sold-out, if anyone is going but does not have hotel reservations yet, I will suggest the Holiday Inn Express in Kirksville. It's about a block away from the same Enterprise Rent-A-Car office that the Depot Inn uses, and to drive to the Depot Inn is a straight shot down the freeway (about 15-20 minutes or so). Here is the website for this hotel:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/kkvmo?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/ex/1/en/availsearch&ias=y

As of the time of this posting, they still had rooms available ranging from $80 to $110 per night.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My million mile Amtrak trip leaves Fullerton April 5th on the southwest Chief and I will reach
it arriving at the platform at La Plata on April 7th, I will spend three nights at the Depot Inn & Suites before heading to Galesburg on the 10th
to connect with the CZ for the trip to Sac with one night there before I san Joaquin home to Southern Cal. Come join me for all or part if you want. Steve will be posting more details about it and yes new shirts are in the works.

Chris

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
did I miss something? are you saying your going to repeat the Million Mile run?

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
The first trip was the Million Rail Miles trip. This is the Million Amtrak Miles trip. He is taking the same routes though.
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
oh I see, and its in April yes?

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
We will leave after a send off party in Fullerton on April 5th before heading to La Plata where I plan to break the millionth Amtrak mile as I arrive and step off the train.

That is the plan at least at this point.

Chris

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page