RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleeping car order

Author Topic: Sleeping car order
Springtx
Member # 6565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Springtx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone help with how the cars are loaded on the train. I know the 1st two are the train number and the last two the car number, is higher the number the father back, is 30 next to the crew sleeper, or is it next to the dinner, what about car number on train 30 its car 01, anyway here is what I am booked in Chi/Lax on 3 0331, Lax/chi on 422 its 2230, and Chi/Was on 30 its 3001.
Posts: 5 | From: Spring Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, cars are numbered from the diner outward. If the sleepers are at the front, the "30" car is just ahead of the diner. If the sleepers are at the rear, the "30" car is immediately behind the diner. Ditto for coaches, except they're numbered in the 10s instead of the 30s.

Except I've usually noticed that the coaches begin with "11" instead of "10."

Anyway, the higher the car number, the farther from the diner.

I don't know about train #30 and car 3001, though.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Springtx
Member # 6565

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Springtx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr Toy.
Posts: 5 | From: Spring Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked my "stash" of ticket stubs and as I thought 3000 would be the first sleeper and 3001 the second. If there is a third it would be 3002. 3000 is closest to the diner.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "xx01", "xx02", etc. are used on eastern trains (primarily Viewliners), while the "xx30," "xx31," etc. are used on western Superliner trains.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On one east coast train, the LSL eastbound, the numbering on the Viewliner sleepers has been 4810, 4811, 4812, progressively away from the dining car and toward the front of the train.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Capitol we always get car 2900 West and 3000East. We have always been next to the diner.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Empire Builder, 0730 was up front next to the diner, 0731 was next door but closer to the engine, and 2730 (the "Portland" sleeper) was at the opposite end of the same train.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when there were two sections to the Lakeshore, the Boston sleeper would carry 4920 reporting marks and the New York sleepers 4910, 4911, and in the summer, 4912. Coaches tend to carry 4940 onward. The lounge was supposed to be 4930, but now that the lounge is the dining car, the dining car is absent, and a third of the Amfleet II lounges have had the reporting windows painted over or removed entirely, it depends on the train. Most crews don't worry about those outside of where they are used (sleepers only) anyway.
Interesting variations in coach (I guess some people get bored on the can): 6969, 911, ____, 123, et cetera.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this thread and clicked on it hoping that Amtrak might be about to somehow get some new sleeping cars.

Darn.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I saw this thread and clicked on it hoping that Amtrak might be about to somehow get some new sleeping cars.

Darn.

Ditto.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page