RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyre Trip

Author Topic: California Zephyre Trip
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are 2 airline employees who, when on vacation, travel Amtrak. We're traveling onboard
the California Zephyr out of Chicago soon,
car 532 Roomette #5. Anyone have any comments on Roomette #5, or Train 5?

We have done the Superchief before and had a great time. Any comments or input on suggestions regarding this route will be appreciated. We leave the train at Reno.

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the most scenic of any Amtrak route, but not as likely to keep on schedule as the Chief.

I would recommend to not sleep in or linger at breakfast the first morning. It is best to stake out a spot in the Sightseer Lounge before the train leaves Denver. It can fill up. The train winds up S-curves on the barren east slope of the Rockies, then through 28 tunnels in a beautiful wilderness, and finally emerges from the long Moffat Tunnel into Winter Park Ski Resort. It is a 360 degree view you cannot fully appreciate from a roomette window.

For the rest of the day you follow the Colorado River through several beautiful canyons from its frozen headwaters. Sometimes by the fresh air stop at Grand Junction it is surprisingly warm.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have learned alot about train 5 on this wonderful website. Im not sure how the consist will line up, or which side of the train Roomette #5 is on, but I have read postings from others who have been on board car 532. I hope its nice, I'm taking a co-worker with me who's never traveled by train and I've talked it up!

What kind of tipping should we implement for serices rendered? Im still confused, but I do recall the last trip on the Chief we were the most generous tippers of the entire lot!

Any other suggestions?

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStarRocket is right -- claim your seat in the lounge before leaving Denver. Sit on the RIGHT side facing the locomotive -- when the train begins its northward ascent of the Front Range and then plunges into the mountains, you will then have the best vistas.

Same when the train leaves Reno and climbs into the Sierra.

I'd tip the sleeper attendant $20 (for two nights) and the waiters $2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch and $4 or $5 for dinner, depending on if you have a glass of wine. (In my opinion, if the service is good a generous tipper leaves 20 per cent, a middling one 15 per cent, and a cheapskate 10 per cent.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doveman
Member # 4310

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for doveman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

As you alluded to in your email to me I did take the CZ in June of 06 and had car 532 roomette #5.
The old pros on here will tell you that the side of the car can't really be determined due to the makeup of the consist.you could end up on the right or left. That being said I was on the right in the roomette and agree with those on here that say most of the scenic view are best seen from that side.

I found the room to be well located within the car. I would say that you should be ready for some pretty rough track the first night. Not enough to wake the dead but it was much smoother the second night.

I will say that setting up the room for night time is best left to the attendant although I did help the second night. The seats which turn into the bottom bunk are a bit heavy handed to get laid down.

I took the advice of others and used the restrooms on the lower level as they are used less. I also showered just as I normally do and I also agree with those on here that say the showers are hardly used. No worries about a dirty or shared shower...in fact i'd bet I was one of only several that used the facility.

I was on a sold out train that left on a monday and got me into Emeryville about six hours late on that Wednesday. We got stuck at Donner Pass behind a locomotive that had stalled. The stop was breathtaking however...we were right at the summit for over an hour stopped.

On board you will find the food very good..and in fact you'll enjoy new improvements over and above what I had with the newly introduced SDS at the time.

My train attendant was a black gentleman..very professional..knew his job...courteous hardworking man.

I would advise like others getting your spot in the sightseer lounge when reaching Denver. Have an early breakfast but also take into account the actual situation at hand since the train may be later than the stated arrival time.

This train has had some very good on time performance in the last few weeks..I was very surprised..but don't count on it..you could be five.six..even seven plus hours late. Lots of track speed edicts from the freight railroads making for some very slow going inside CA.

Bring a good book. The scenery isn't picturesque until after Denver. As long as you are about an hour early at the metropolitan lounge in CHI you'll be fine..no rush to get there.

The cafe car makes a good bloody mary;-)

Steve

Posts: 15 | From: Tulsa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have taken #5 for many of years and Roomette 5 has always been on the left, but it could easily be changed now that I have said that. As soon as you get to Denver I would get my seat in the lounge.But once you start into the canyon area and the river all the scnery is on the left so I would spend as much time as possible in the lounge. Just switch over from the right (where you get the best views after Denver) to the left.If by some chance your room is on the left you are all set.
Between Chicago and Denver it is true the scenery is mostly "bland". As my son remarked "whne you've seen one corn field you have seen them all" However you do cross the mighty Mississippi on a 2000ft. bridge and there are towns along the way. I always enjoy the towns big and small and even find the fields interesting. The old saying "different strokes for different folks" is true here. My husband ends up reading and I sit watching out the window!!!
As to the rest room I perferred the upper one because there is more room there. Now thqt we travel by bedroom I don't have a choice to make.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
thanks for all the input, I appreciate everyones comments. I traveled the Chief during the first week of July, 06 and suppose the experience in he dining car was SDS. I had wished their were glass dishes, but otherwise it was ok. I'm used to airline food and have to admit im not picky [Big Grin]
Im wanting to take this exact route again during warmer months and longer daylight hours, but regardless I hope to enjoy this excursion none the less. I was thinking about occupying the family bedroom but opted for the smaller roomette since it was on the upper level. We seemd to manage last year with that choice just fine.

CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the benefit of RAILforum members, here is the reply I sent to birdchops after being contacted off-forum.

The typical California Zephyr consist:

GE P42 Locomotive
GE P42 Locomotive
Baggage Car
Transition Sleeping Car (0520)
Sleeping Car (0532)
Sleeping Car (0531)
Dining Car
Sightseer Lounge
Coach Car (0510)
Coach Car (0511)
Coach Car (0512)

Note this train does not use the "30" line number like the Southwest Chief... don't know why. The Dining and Sightseer Lounge cars do not get a line designation as they do not generate transportation revenue.

This train operates on BNSF Railway (Burlington Northern Santa Fe) from Chicago to Denver, and on the Union Pacific Railroad from Denver to Emeryville.

Here's some quick input for your California Zephyr trip:

-Room 5 is GREAT in my opinion, far enough away from the noisy opening and closing of the end door at one end of the hallway, and far enough away from the drink station and upper level restroom (Think away from the stinky, gross restroom - What would make ANYONE think doing a number two in the bathroom right next to the roomettes is OK?)

-The ride from Princeton to Galesburg is BORING, what a great time for you and your friend to get acquainted with the train. Even though I've been on a bunch of trips I still get out of my room and basically walk the entire length of the train shortly after departure. Please be careful, especially your friend, as most of the track in this area allows a maximum speed of 79mph. The train will be swaying and have lots of sudden movement. I typically walk through the dining car, sightseer lounge, and through the coaches. I guess I'm looking to get a sense of how crowded the train is.

-The first extended station stop on the CZ is Ottumwa. Check the schedule and try to get dinner 1.5 hours ahead of the scheduled stop at Ottumwa or get a reservation after the schedule Ottumwa time. I love to get out at every "fresh" air stop (I'm not a smoker).

-There is actually quite a bit of rolling countryside after Ottumwa into Omaha. It will be dark for all or most of this section. The railroad here is single track with passing sidings in most places. It would be fairly routine to be delayed a little to wait for a freight train, or to pass a freight train.

-Omaha is late, and is the next stretch break. I typically wait for Omaha before having the beds turned down. You'll want to be sure to arrange a time or location to have the beds made with the attendant earlier in the trip.

-You'll zip right along to Lincoln, which is another longer stop. The remainder of the night will be traveling through Nebraska. This section of railroad is also mostly single track. I have not experienced delays overnight before, as this seems to be a more lightly used freight route.

-You'll wake up most likely after Fort Morgan, CO. I highly recommend getting an early shower and early breakfast, with the goal to be finished with breakfast before your arrival into Denver, CO, which I explain next.

-Denver is a longer station stop, considered a servicing stop for the California Zephyr. The front exterior of Denver Union Station is beautiful, if your train is on time and you are up for it, definitely leave the station, cross the street and take a look. I would be sure to tell your attendant that you'll be stepping away, and confirm the departure time with them. During the CZ's stop in Denver the train will have mechanics inspecting the cars mechanics, and cleaners cleaning many/most of the windows.

-Plan to arrive back at the train 5-10 minutes before departure. Grab your camera, and other necessities (water, guide books, etc.) Go to the Sightseer Lounge and stake out your seats. According to the trains direction of travel, sit on the right side. Be sure you've selected a seat with the cleanest window for the beautiful pictures you are about to take

-The train will leave Denver Union Station and head northwest. After leaving housing behind the train will wind it's way through "Big 10". You'll see the hopper cars on your side of the train as you round the sharpest curve, and windiest location on "Big 10". As the train reaches the top of this climb you'll be treated with a view of Denver below and off in the distance.

-There are tons of beautiful vistas as you wind your way through mountains and through countless short tunnels. Be sure to turn your camera's flash off, and keep the lens as close to the glass as possible to avoid catching the camera's reflection in the pictures.

-After all that beautiful mountain scenery you'll plunge into the Moffat Tunnel for about 15 minutes. Since you've been in the Sightseer Lounge all this time, you'll need to remain here as the train crew will make an announcement asking all passengers to remain in their seat through the tunnel, to prevent people opening the end doors and letting excess diesel exhaust into the passenger cabin.

-You'll pop out the other side of the tunnel into a ski area on your left.

-The rest of the day, the scenery will alternate some between left on right, with a preference for left side for most canyons up to Glenwood Canyon, where the scenery will switch to the right (definitely be in the Sightseer Lounge for this)

-After Glenwood Springs, you'll pick up some speed to reach Grand Junction. Be sure to buy a souvenir from the station shop.

-Depending on the time of year, you'll miss or catch the canyons after Grand Junction, they can be just as beautiful as before, extending into Utah.

-It will surely be dark for your approach into Salt Lake City. I've never been able to stay awake for this stop. I've slept through it every time. It is an extended stop, and would be a chance for fresh air if you were up.

-You'll awake mostly likely between Elko and Winnemucca. There's no rush to get going this morning because most of the scenery between here and Reno is the same, impressive, but repetitive. If you like, there will be a short "fresh" air break after a crew change at Winnemucca. This station in this tiny town is a tiny stretch of asphalt, and a bus shelter!

-You'll see very little of Reno thanks to the new train trench. Reno will be a stretch break.

-After Reno, I'd head to the Sightseer Lounge for some interesting terrain.

-After Truckee, head to the Lounge if you didn't earlier. Be sure to snag a seat on the right side of the train. You'll be treated to great views over Donner Pass, Donner Lake will be below on your right.

-After the long tunnel, most of the scenery is on the left.

-You'll slowly descend from the Sierra Nevada mountains into Sacramento.

-After a "fresh" air break in Sacramento, get ready for a race to Emeryville, the track speed picks up finally for most of the remainder of this trip.

-Emeryville is a great small station, clean and attractive. You'll end your trip here, or continue on motorcoach to San Francisco.

Have a great trip!

David

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Thank you David for all that information. Im sure it will come in handy and help turn my friend on to traveling by rail. Its my hope to take this trip again in warmer months, as well as enjoy the Empire Builder! Everyone here has been very gracious with their suggestions, and I appreciate the input and am so happy I found this website!
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sightseeing tip:

At some point as the California Zephyr is rolling through the Rockies (which will take most of the day), take a walk back to the last car. The view of the peaks and canyons from the rear window is definitely worth the stroll.

You'll also get panoramic camera shots that you won't be able to get from the windows of the Sightseer Lounge.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
well kids thanks for the information and input. Im leaving tomorrow! Hope the weather holds out for my flight into o'hare...hahaha right, ahem.

au revoir!

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Trains to you !!!

Enjoy !!!

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
I just arrived back home from my 4 day
adventure on board the California Zephyr
enroute chicago to Reno. Very lovely scenery,
enjoyed it all. The crew was pleasant, and my
friend had a great time in our accomodations.

The train was empty chicago to reno, but was completely full Reno to Emmoryville. We had the conductor check if we could just continue through but there wasnt a seat to be had.

Thanks to all for your input. Im already planning another adventure!

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the full Reno-Emeryville train on the weekend? Back in the '90s when I rode the CZ a lot, the train often on the weekends had a cut of four ex-Santa Fe Hi-Level coaches tacked on to the rear, and these were all for hauling hi-rollers from the Bay to Reno and back. The Amtrak conductors would tell me they disliked going back into those cars because folks got themselves well oiled on the way east and boarded the train well oiled on the way west.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
It was a holiday (monday) that we
arrived in Reno on train 5. Had we checked
earlier, we could have stayed on but for some
reason every coach seat filled up with upgrades
to rooms after that. It seems there were
alot of high-rollers wanting to highball it back
to the bay area after a 3-day weekend.

We got a great deal on a room at a hotel there
by the station and had dinner as a result! lol.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

There was a time, I'm sure, that many of the Reno passengers were on the divorce trail. I remember my mother often telling my father, when he was being obstreperous, "One more like that and I'm off to Reno!"
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
my question is this, when i was making the reserveation in the beginning we queried amtrak about getting off at reno or emmoryville. there was a $50.00 difference. however, on board when i queried the conductor, he said there was no additional fee, however he checked and they were sold out beyond reno. So, who is correct??
If there is really no additonal fee, i think the next time i take train 5, i'll just change my reservation with the conductor on board and go through!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page