RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » base fare goes up when adding roomettes?

Author Topic: base fare goes up when adding roomettes?
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering a trip from Flagstaff to Chicago on the SW Chief and the base fare for two adults and two children is $330 and the roomettes are $356 each. That should total $1042 before my AAA discount. However, the fare shows as $1099. After the discount is applied it comes in as $1060 and change. What is going on? The asterisk disclaimer states that the base fare may change once accomodations are added. Oh really! Has anyone else noticed this?
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one quick thing to recall is that the discount applies only to the individual who is the AAA, or NARP, or AARP member, and not the children. You might also be right at the level where the price bucket changes. I'm not quite certain.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried a random date in February for the same trip. It quoted $330 for rail fare and $236 per roomette, which should have been $802. But the total came up as $916. When I went to try it again, a notice came up saying the system was down for maintenance. Something is odd there. Try calling Amtrak, tell them what happened, and see what you get.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this has something to do with Amtrak's "Long Distance Sale" which has a number of trains discounted for coach in the months of February and March.

The proviso is that the special fares apply only to coach, and the bad part is that the special fares actually show up as what looks like the regular fare when you put in a normal booking.

When you add accomodations such as BC or sleeping rooms, the rail fare changes from the special discounted fare to the normal fare.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except when I tried it the rail fare stayed the same. It was the roomette charges that increased.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I can call my TA. I know he can get me the best deal. I just wasn't sure I wanted to do the trip and like to check out fares on my own, first.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page