RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SW Chief EB from Flagstaff

Author Topic: SW Chief EB from Flagstaff
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be flying with my family for a spring break trip to this area. We've done a long distance train trip before and my husband and kids are not enthused about having to cut our sightseeing time in order to catch a long train ride home.

The most affordable roomettes (making the train cheaper than flying) will require us to leave two - three days earlier than we would normally if we flew. I'm wondering if (after several days of national park sightseeing of the canyons, red rocks, etc) the views on this route would be worth the trade off. There is also the "hassle" of the early morning departure, 5:11, which I'm not sure how to manage (rental car drop off, taxi, etc).

Any thoughts?

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're staying at a chain motel or hotel in Flagstaff, ask if it has a courtesy bus and if it will get you to the train at 5 a.m. I stayed in a Holiday Inn there a few years ago and it said it'd take us passengers to the station to meet the train. (As it happened, the train was two hours late.) I recall there were half a dozen passengers for the train. Flag is the jumping off point for the Grand Canyon.

You could get a taxi, too.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hertz has an office in the Flagstaff Amtrak depot. When I rented there, I just dropped my rental agreement and keys in their drop box at 5am departure time. Their cars are kept in the depot lot a few feet from trainside. It is also possible to find lodging within walking distance from the station. You may check your eastbound luggage the night before, when the station is open for the westbound Chief. Flagstaff may be one of the easiest rental car train transition locations there is. You also can cleanup and have breakfast after you get on the train, or go back to sleep for awhile. Best to check if the train is on time before you leave your motel. The Chief is usually on time.

Scenic highlights include the painted desert in AZ, the red rock country around Gallup, the narrow Apache Canyon just past Lamy followed by beautiful pine and mountain/mesa vistas, and finally Raton Pass going into CO. You get a good look at rural living in New Mexico that you do not see from the interstate. I also find the vast landscape of AZ and New Mexico to be very beautiful in general, and some very interesting architecture.

As a midwesterner, I find the Missouri/Illinois scenery of the second day to be nothing special, with the possible exception of the Mississippi crossing, where you are likely to see some eagles.

It is a fast train, making the trip from AZ in about 33 hours, so it is not quite an extra 2-3 days off your vacation.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great description of the scenery. What I meant by 2-3 days is that the best fare is offered on Thursday, which shortens the vacation by 2-3 days of sightseeing which we could enjoy is we flew home on Sat or Sun.
Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page