RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hi, a query

Author Topic: hi, a query
hyperrailnut
Member # 1559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperrailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Is there a train from nashville-new york via washington(direct or connections, i agree eitherway).which one's the cheaper coach or shared sleeper?, journey time etc.

I was not able to find this info on net and i dunno if theres a railway station in nashville( i would like to do this journey for comfort and good scenery of appalachians)!

regards
hyperrailnut

Posts: 8 | From: india | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the way your post is worded, I assume your journey is going to start in Nashville. Unfortunately, no Amtrak trains stop there.

The two that come closest are:

The Crescent -- From Nashville, you can take an Amtrak/Greyhound bus to Atlanta (it takes over five hours). The Crescent passes through Atlanta on its way north to Washington D.C. and New York.

The Kentucky Cardinal -- Amtrak and Greyhound run another bus from Nashville to Louisville, Kentucky (about a four hour ride). From there, you take the Kentucky Cardinal to Indianapolis or Chicago (where you can catch trains to Washington D.C., with additional connections to New York).

I don't know which route would be the cheapest. But the Crescent would be the easiest and most direct.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-08-2002).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than driving to Cincinnati to catch the Cardinal to Washington at an ungodly hour, I would certainly suggest the Crescent, out of Birmingham at 2:27pm or Atlanta at 8:06pm.
One way fare from B'ham is $137 coach...add $354 for a standard bedroom. (prices vary depending on when you book)
If you book the bus to Atlanta from Nashville with Amtrak the total trip in bus + rail in coach to NYC is $176.

If you book a bedroom, the cost is per room, not per person, so if two travel, the bedroom becomes a better deal.

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hyperrailnut
Member # 1559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperrailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Dilly and Carter,

Thanx a lot for the information, i would like to work it thru the kentucky way.

Is'nt really sad that an important city like Nashville has no trains? I am frustated with this, trains are not BULLOCK CARTS to fade with the advent of road/air, i think they are equally good.

regards
hyperrailnut

Posts: 8 | From: india | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Through KY, you can either go via the K Card to Chicago, as dilly suggested, or go to Cinci and take the Cardinal to DC then onward to NYC.

Via Chicago you could book the bus from Nashville to Louisville then onwards all through Amtrak. Bus Nasville 1:40p ar LVille 6pm, KCard 9:20p ar Chicago 8:37a the either Cap Ltd to DC 7p-1:45p or the Cardinal on T, Th, Sa 7:55p - 7:45p and then onward from DC to NYC.

The Cardinal, while longer trip, is much more scenic.

If you go via Chicago, it will cost more and take much more time than if you met the Eastbound Cardinal from Cinci.

Here is the Cardinal/ KCard schedules: http://www.amtrak.com/trains/timetable/p50.pdf

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page