RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What's Your Favorite Amtrak Route in March?

Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Amtrak Route in March?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Folks,

I've got a few days the last week of March and am going to cash in some of my AGR points - I have enough points to do pretty much anything I'm able to with a four-day window.

What are some of your favorite trips during the month of March.....and why? Personally, I'm leaning towards flying to the Bay area and taking the California Zephyr - Capitol Ltd home....but I'm open to suggestion.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CZ sounds wonderful.

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CZ is the best but if you want to see the rock structure in the New River Gorge then take the eastbound Cardinal.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that now that so many trees have gotten taller the Cardinal route through the New River Gorge is not as spectacular as it used to be. Maybe it is just too familiar to me. I think the CZ and Capitol is a super choice but then those area my 2 favorite routes.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll get better scenery on the California Zephyr heading westbound. Course that doesn't leave a lot of scenic options to get from the East Coast to the Midwest. I'd still probably take the Capitol Limited westbound. Eastbound, you could lose scenery crossing the Sierra Nevada mountains and then the Rockies. Course anything is bound to happen on a train these days.

You also may not want to discount the Southwest Chief. I like this route eastbound or westbound. You could even go down to San Diego and take in the Pacific Surfliner trains, and then continue east on the Capitol Limited or Cardinal. Course I wouldn't ride the Cardinal unless it was perhaps on a private rail car or if Superliners were restored to the route. The route is still scenic, but it does not have the lounge facilities to take in the scenery. And the Viewliner is often priced ridiculously. Course if you are using your AGR points, that wouldn't matter.

I still would enjoy the California Zephyr. But I had a disaster of a trip on this train one winter. Course again, you never know.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're daring you could head down to LA and take the Sunset Ltd east to New Orleans then up on the Crescent to DC. The Sunset may seem kinda bland but watching the Sunset along the Salton Sea between Palm Springs and Yuma is pretty awsome. Also if its a full moon the arizona desert seems to be a good highlight. I'll be on it myself in March roundtrip to San Diego.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm partial to the Capitol Ltd., perhaps because I have taken only one trip on the Cardinal. The trip southeast bound along the MIssissippi is picturesque no matter which time of the year it is.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good suggestions - thanks.

Here are the things I'm mulling over - If I do the CZ I'm leaning eastbound......primarily because I have NEVER been eastbound on that train between SLC and Grand Junction, CO. I have been eastbound on all other segments plus I've done the entire route westbound several times. My lone eastbound trip on the CZ from SLC was on one of the advance scheduled detours through Wyoming......and I specifically rode it at that time wanting to go through Wyoming.

I've not been on the Empire Builder or the City of New Orleans since 2002. I've been on every other western long-distance train since then.

I do like the Southwest Chief and a night at the La Posada in Winslow, AZ would appeal to any railfan. Same for the Depot Inn in La Plata, MO...but I was on the SWC this past April and also in 2005. I'm feeling like it's time to spread the wealth a little bit.

Same for the Sunset and Texas Eagle. I spent a couple of nights in the 422 sleeper from El Paso to St. Louis in 2005......I'm wanting to revisit routes that have been....um....under-represented...in recent itineraries.

Wouldn't it be nice if AGR points could be redeemed on VIA?

The Cardinal eastbound intriques me. I've not been on this train since 2002. I'm thinking in March that the leaves would not be back yet.....making for better visibility than you would have during the warmer months.

I haven't been on the Adirondack in forever. It's tempting BUT I was just on an Acela back in October and I'm not sure I want to see any of the northeast again this soon......not even the parts beyond the corridor.

Glad I don't have to commit today. Keep those suggestions coming!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering, in the back of my mind, taking the Empire Builder eastbound in march. To those of you having already been on this train, would that be a "Yea" or a "Nay" ??
--------
Julia

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two thumbs up for the eastbound Empire Builder in March. Although you may miss the Columbia Gorge (from Portland) or the run along Puget Sound (from Seattle), you would have daylight through Glacier Park and along the Mississippi in Minnesota. With all refurbished sleepers, improved menu and the wine-tasting, it is a fun & relaxing trip. If you are in the "Portland" sleeper, you'll get your exercise hiking through the train to the diner.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have 4 days and want to see the most spectacular sights Amtrak has to offer, try this:

Fly into Los Angeles. Take the Coast Starlight from LA to Sacramento. Overnight it in Sacramento and then take the CZ from Sacramento to Chicago, then fly home from Chicago. If that cuts it a bit too close, cut out the rail portion between Denver and Chicago and fly home out of Denver. Scenic Highlights?:

1. Metropolitan LA area
2. The Beautiful California Coast Line
3. The Coastal Ranges between SLO and Paso Robles. Including the Horseshoe curve north of SLO
4. Sacramento offers some amenities during your stopover. I think the CZ gets into Sacramento around 11:30ish in the AM??? Check out the Railroad museum first thing in the morning...its a GREAT spirit setter for your upcoming trip on the CZ.
5. The Sierra Nevada mountains/Donner Pass are breathtaking.
6. Nothing in Amtrak's system parallels the heart of the Colorado Rockies!
7. If you could afford time wise to take the CZ all the way into Chicago...Union Station is a GEM!!! Be sure to check out the Great Hall!

I'm Pea Green with Envy!
Good Luck!

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks Amtraxmaniac......your suggestions are good and similar to what I've been working on already. I like the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento having been there before.....

I wish that I could count on the CZ to make the connection to the eastbound Cardinal.....

But I might try that in westbound....

--------------------
David Pressley

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
I think the Capitol is a capital idea, particularly in March. The route is pretty well lined with deciduous trees that later in the season obscure the view. I've taken that train in March, and because the trees haven't fully blossomed, you get to see more than you would in the summer.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, David, I'm back from my own trip and will be making a report when I have a chance. I want to second Mr Black about March being a good time for east of the Mississippi, before the trees leaf in and obscure the view. Routes would include the eastbound Cardinal or Capital Ltd, the Pennsylvanian, and the Boston spur of the Lakeshore Ltd. Because the Adirondack (my favorite route east of Mississippi) goes right on the edge of the water, it does not have the same leafless requirements and is basically nice all the time.

I prefer the western routes in May-July, when the days are longer.

OTOH, that being said, I find the Zephyr, Empire Builder, SW Chief in NM and AZ, and Coast Starlight the most spectacular routes nicer than anything east of the Mississippi. I would be wary of taking the Zephyr eastbound, however, because it is so often quite late. When I took it eastbound late last May, in spite of the long days, I missed all the scenery east of Glenwood Springs! And the Coast Starlight may be problematic right now too, as we know.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks Sojourner,

I've pretty much culled it down to something cross-country with the CZ OR some eastern circle to include the Cardinal, Capitol, and possibly Adirondack. The pros with staying 'east' are that I might work in an overnight at the Henry Clay Inn (my favorite eastern railroad hotel) and not have to set foot in an airport.

Coast Starlight is totally out of my plans though I did briefly consider the Pacific Surfliner from LAX to San Luis Obispo.....call it Coast Starlight Lite. I kind of shied away from that because I really would rather not have a four hour flight to the west coast along with the jet lag which follows causing me to be wide awake at 3:30 the next morning.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page