RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Thinking about taking the Empire Builder

Author Topic: Thinking about taking the Empire Builder
hsr_fan
Member # 6881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hsr_fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't yet been aboard a Superliner equipped train, and being that I've never been to the Pacific Northwest, I'm likely going to take a trip on the Empire Builder. Does sleeper space generally sell out far in advance? Also, being on the east coast (most likely leaving from New York), I'll have to get to Chicago somehow. If I take Amtrak, what are some of your opinions on which train to take? Lake Shore Limited out of NYP, or NEC to DC to catch the Capitol Limited would be the likely options. The Cardinal, with its minimal consist and lack of a diner, seems somewhat less appealing. (Although I understand that the Lake Shore Limited also lacks a diner these days.)

--------------------
Matt Johnson

Posts: 9 | From: Northeast Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was I you I'd take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then the Builder out to the Left Coast. The Capitol Limited has nicer scenery but hanging a right at D.C. does lengthen the trip some.

Book your sleeper space as far in advance as you can, so you can hope to get some lower prices in the fare bucket. Generally, the closer to train time, the higher the sleeper room prices. I often book my trips five to six months in advance.

Even if a sleeper is sold out you can often get lucky by calling Amtrak (or going online) shortly after 2 in the morning Eastern time when cancellations are entered into the computers.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hsr_fan
Member # 6881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hsr_fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I might try to use my Amtrak guest rewards points if possible. According to the rewards chart, I have enough to cover three zones with a bedroom. So, that covers one way, at least! Still have to pay for the return...

--------------------
Matt Johnson

Posts: 9 | From: Northeast Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely disagree with Mr Kisor, but in this instance I do: I always like to take the Capitol Ltd one way; it's very pretty and nice not to go and come on the same route. I generally take it westbound because then I am ensured stopover time to DC, to which I take an earlier-than-necessary Regional. I take the LSL eastbound, for similar reasons--the late departure allows me to maximize possible stopover time in Chicago. I don't mind that the LSL no longer has dinner; I like the little wine and cheese shindig for sleeper passengers, and I'd rather have my actual dinner in Greektown or some other place in Chicago (I'm always very tired of Amtrak food by the time of my return trip!)

If you have 40,000 Guest Reward points (as opposed to 35,000), you may want to use them for small sleepers (aka roomettes, sleeperettes) for 2 zones each way and pay cash for the third zone each way. That gets you 4 free nights for just 5000 points more--a more cost efficient way to use your points than using 35000 for just 3 nights one way.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hsr_fan
Member # 6881

Rate Member
I think I have in the neighborhood of 70k points. Thanks for the tip!

--------------------
Matt Johnson

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely disagree with Ms. Sojourner, and since her argument is reasonable and convincing (as well as appetite-prodding), I shall withdraw my westbound LSL suggestion.

Another plus for the D.C. stopover is the glorious Washington Union Station, well worth exploring.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow......70,000 guest reward points.

I've got some catching up to do!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hsr_fan
Member # 6881

Rate Member
Haha...well, I'm getting laid off at the end of April, so I'm about to have a lot more free time, and a lot less money! [Smile] I figure I'll do some traveling while I apply to grad schools...

--------------------
Matt Johnson

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HSR - 70K is impressive - you could just ride Amtrak for a week of so and save tons of money. My wife once spent a college semester at sea - maybe you could get college credit for your time on Amtrak esp. if you are a sociology major.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder does seem to be a very popular train & I second the advice of those who said BOOK EARLY. Even though you will pay with points, available space may be a problem end-to-end. Although the scenery is not as spectacular as the CZ, I find the good timekeeping to be a plus & have never had a bad experience on that train. (now at 6 trips & counting).

If your final destination is Seattle, but you wish to maximize sightseeing from the train, consider westbound to Portland (to enjoy a daylight transit of the Columbia River valley) followed by a local train to Seattle - same points as straight to Seattle (& you could probably get the business class included on the Cascade service). If you decide to do this, take advantage of a little longer layover in Portland to have lunch at Jakes - you can leave your luggage at the station baggage area - they were very nice in accommodating me when I tried this a couple years ago.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with BOOK EARLY, especially if you want to travel by sleeper. Although I have only ridden the EB from Spokane to either Seattle or Portland (both offer their own great views), it can get full even in coach. BTW, Judy, I have visited PDX quite a few times, but never ate at Jakes. How is their food and what are the prices like?
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page