RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » engineer vigilance device

Author Topic: engineer vigilance device
Lee, Wonyoung
Member # 2464

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee, Wonyoung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, long time no see. I heard in American trains there are vigilance devices for train engineer including wrist-watch type stuff. Can you tell me about that and other things? I am working for South Korean railroads here in South Korea. I well expect your answer. Thank you.
Posts: 29 | From: South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might get a good answer from http://www.railroad.net. A lot of passenger and freight rail engineers are on that forum.

Good luck.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is called an "Alerter."
United States patent for alert device.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Mr. Lee was looking for something newer and more sophisticated (and perhaps for a different use) than a control-stand Alertor, but I have no idea what that might be.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always consider cupholders and coffee from the lounge or cafe car.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel awhile back when the topic was freight trains. An engineer explained there was a device designed to make sure the engineer was awake. It was prety simple. It just lit a light and made a beep or something every few minutes. If the engineer did not hit the reset button within a preset time (maybe 30 seconds), the train would automatically come to a stop. Sort of a snooze alarm but with the opposite intent.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Mr, Toy, I believe that was the Alertor described on Modern Marvels.

Another device to keep the engineer awake seems to be the conductor. Every few minutes he picks up his radio and barks, "Highball Norden!" (or wherever the train happpens to be). At least that was the impression I got while traveling with a couple of conductors for a book. They might just have been putting me on.

Lee, Wonyoung
Member # 2464

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee, Wonyoung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that in American trains train engineers have wrist-watch type stuff to keep them alert. It cost 25 dollars, I heard. Am I wrong? In South Korea we have similar type of stuff Mr.Toy mentioned. We have two types in KTX, TGV-type bullet train. If you don't press the button for 2.5 seconds, the train will buzz for 2.5 secs and will stop automatically. Another type is if you touch the steering device for 55 secs, the train will buzz for 5 secs and the train will stop automatically. But some train engineers have a trick to beat it. So I am looking for new device for making alert.
Posts: 29 | From: South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Again, Mr. Lee, go to www.railroad.net, where a lot of American engineers hang out. You will get an answer there.

You might also ask them if it's still a common practice to wedge a piece of wood or a coin under the locomotive brake lever to disable it. A number of engineers (not only Amtrakers but also freight) told me 15 years ago they had done this because the engine brake was too loud and too close to their ears. Of course the train brakes were more than sufficient to slow or stop a train, but this practice WAS a neutralization of a piece of safety equipment. I suspect the newer locomotives don't have this noise problem.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page