RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » More Starlight bad news.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More Starlight bad news....
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Interesting info, George -- what is your source for this info? I'd like to look at it, since I have a background in engineering geology. If they "bridge" the slide, won't that also involve extensive realignment of the tracks?

I can see possibly bridging that entire "horseshoe curve" at some time in the future, but that definitely would involve considerable realignment. Remember the Thistle landslide in 1993 (?)......

Week's delay in answering due to pneumonia. First time I have been online since Tuesday last week. The "pile driver being brought in" was seen on trainorders. The bridge or slope reinforcement are my own thoughts on what they would want it for. They could also be thinking of building retaining walls. However, unless the foundations are DEEP the whole retaining wall could still slide down the hill.

If they do a bridge there would probably be minimal realignment from where the track was before the slide. First because they would want a low bridge if possible, not a high one, and because they can not do anything that results in more than the slightest reduction in length of line.

Bridging or otherwise removing the horseshoe curve, actually double horseshoes: Not going to happen. What we have here is considerable added length over the straight line distance for the purpose of keeping the grade down to a managable level. This length cannot be shortened without steepening the grade.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply, George -- I hope you are feeling better. What you said about bridging the entire horseshoe curve area and maintaining grade sounds quite reasonable to me -- after all, there was a reason why the horseshoe curve alignment was built in the first place.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page