RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Spring Break

Author Topic: Spring Break
Pat56
Member # 6957

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pat56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning a Spring Break trip for early April. I have ridden and enjoyed all the western trains equally in the summer. Has anyone ridden any of these trains during early spring?

What do you think has the best scenery during early spring?

Posts: 1 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best non-stop scenery would be the California Zephyr from the Bay Area to Denver.

If I were starting in LA and had the time to do a circle trip, I'd probably take the Southwest Chief to Chicago, spend a night, take the California Zephyr back to Sacramento, spend a night, and then return to LA the following day using the Coast Starlight.....or, if you want a moe reliable arrival, the San Joaquin to Bakersfield and the connecting bus. Your looking at a six night trip this way.

You could shorten it to five nights by looking at taking the California Zephyr roundtrip to Denver. Under this plan I would take the Connecting bus to Bakersfield, the San Joaquin to Sacramento, spend a night at the Vagabond Inn (Old Town location is across the street from the Amtrak station), and catch the California Zephyr the next morning.

Happy tRails and let us know how it went you get back.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notelvis wrote
quote:
If I were starting in LA and had the time to do a circle trip, I'd probably take the Southwest Chief to Chicago, spend a night, take the California Zephyr back to Sacramento, spend a night, and then return to LA the following day using the Coast Starlight.....or, if you want a moe reliable arrival, the San Joaquin to Bakersfield and the connecting bus. Your looking at a six night trip this way.

You could also shorten this to a five night trip, if you eliminate the night in Chicago by taking the Southwest Chief only as far as Galesburg, IL (scheduled arrival, 12:10 PM) and then boarding the west bound California Zephyr at Galesburg later in the same afternoon (scheduled departure, 4:38 PM).

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page