RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » overbooking?

Author Topic: overbooking?
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode Acela Express r/t from New Haven to DC a couple of weeks ago. It was a pleasant ride as usual. On the return trip on Sunday the 10th though there were some standees. I had never encountered that on Acela. No one was sitting next to me from DC until NY. At Penn Station hundreds of people got on and apparently not all of them had seats. About a half dozen folks were told to go to the cafe car where staff would try to 'accommodate' them. Later the lady next to me asked the conductor if everyone got a seat and he said no. Do they overbook these trains like the airlines do? I was almost hoping they would ask for voluntary bumping so I could get a free ticket on a later trip. [Wink] But I have never heard of Amtrak doing this. Anyone know if it is unusual for Acela to be standing room only?
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what usual is BUT I was on an Acela Express from Boston to BWI on a Sunday afternoon last October. We were 'full up' and SRO only by the time we left the Route 128 Station......still in suburban Boston......and there were more passengers than seats until at least Philadelphia.

I wound up with three different seat partners as I was on the train from about 1pm until 7 something.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been on the Acela trains, but isn't it dangerous to be standing on a moving train? (Walking through the train to the dining car can be scary enough.)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, heck no! I've held lots of conversations on trains through the years standing. Take a look at the publicity photos and drawings from the streamliner era (1935-70). Lots of folks stood in lounge cars.

In fact, being able to stand and walk about is one of the great blessings of riding by rail!!!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should check a ticket but I wonder if it says anything on there about NOT guaranteeing a seat. If I paid the several hundred dollars to take this train and then had to stand I would be upset.

I haven't ridden in regular coach since 1994 in part because of two incidents where the trains coming back from DC on a Sunday afternoon were so packed. My friend and I had seats but with so many people sitting in the aisles it was quite claustrophobic. After that it was business class only for me. [Wink] Now even if Acela costs more I like the comfort and slightly shorter ride. If it ever gets to a point where that becomes like riding a subway or commuter train, I guess I would have to try flying or driving to DC again. [Frown]

Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TNCMAXQ:
I haven't ridden in regular coach since 1994 in part because of two incidents where the trains coming back from DC on a Sunday afternoon were so packed. My friend and I had seats but with so many people sitting in the aisles it was quite claustrophobic. After that it was business class only for me. [Wink]

MR. TNCMAXQ:
All I can say is, don't EVER visit or travel anywhere in Asia.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page