RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bavarian Village

Author Topic: Bavarian Village
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be old news, but I recently read, in "Passenger Train Journal", that Amtrak is planning on a new stop in Leavenworth, Washington, about 20 miles northwest of the Wenatchee, WA on the Empire Builder route.

A number of years ago, while driving around the state of Washington, I had plans to drive over to Leavenworth... sort of a "bavarian village".
I never made the trip. Has anyone ever stopped at Leavenworth? Here is an annoucement about the new Amtrak stop:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard/2007/12/leavenworth_gets_amtrak_stop.html

A web site for Leavenworth:

http://www.leavenworth.org/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyAlweg
Member # 5407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MightyAlweg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Seattle in the 1970's and 80's we would stop in Leavenworth a lot on our way over to a summer cabin at Lake Chelan. It's very fun, very walkable, and a pleasant place to spend the afternoon. There were several great restaurants there serving German food, and I remember they always had a huge Oktoberfest celebration for a few weeks in the fall.

I haven't been there in 20 years, but from the looks of the pictures on their website it hasn't changed one bit. If you are driving through the Cascades to Wenatchee or beyond, Leavenworth is definetely worth the stop. I'm not sure that you would want to spend a full 24 hours there by getting off the train until the next Empire Builder rolls through, although on the other hand I can think of a lot worse places to be.

If you like German food, and the idea of strolling a quaint little town up in the mountains sounds like fun, then Leavenworth is for you!

Posts: 56 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MightAlweg, for your input. Looks like Leavenworth would be a fun place to visit. I have a friend who once took a boat across Lake Chelan and rented a cabin, somewhere. She said if you want to "get away from it all", Lake Chelan is the place. One of these days I would like to drive over to Leavenworh, then up to Winthrop and on to Mazama for the night's stay.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page