RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Outlets in coach on LSL?

Author Topic: Outlets in coach on LSL?
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be little info out there on this question. From what I gather the refurbished AMFleet II cars have an outlet at every seat. But most of what I can finds is from 2 years ago and suggests that getting one is a crapshoot. I guess the real question is are all of these cars refurbished now? Do I stand a pretty high chance of getting one with outlets at the seats?

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While about 35 more of those cars have been refurbished since a couple of years ago, the upgrades have been getting spotty. I've traveled on a number of Am II coaches with blue seat cushions... on the good old brown seats, red curtains, yellow trim at the ends of the car, and carpet up the walls. These overhauls are one of the first things to get trimmed from the maintenance budget. The cars are still getting regular maintenance, but if there isn't enough money in the budget when a particular car goes into the shop, the cosmetic upgrades will pass over that car for another major maintenance cycle, which I estimate being around four years. It's getting better. Two years ago, around half of the Amfleet II coach fleet (125 coaches, 117 of them in service) had been overhauled completely, meaning blue/grey/white interiors and at-seat power. Now, I've noticed around five eighths to two thirds of the fleet is converted. Don't worry too much about this apparent 'skimping' on maintenance. The cars that don't get interior changes are still getting a mechanical and safety overhaul. On Am II-equipped trains I've ridden lately, the toilets seem to work 86% of the time instead of 83%, and that's an improvement.
That being said, the stripes are all consistent now, the wheels are generally round, the brake pads are new, and even the AC systems are getting more reliable, which matters to me more than what color the seats are.
I've also noticed another positive trend after a ride on a circa-1976 Amfleet I coach (21089) in November 2006. Yes, there was still carpet on the walls. Yes, the seats were still red with that parallel-bar weave down the middle. The vestibule trim is still yellow, the bathroom trim was still light blue, and there was some seventies green in there somewhere. This car must have just been released from rehab in its original interior colors, because I was impressed. The suspension dampers felt brand new- no bouncing, bobbing or significant swaying on CSX track. The seat cushions were clean and supportive, suggesting the use of new padding. The bathroom, in all its cramped, seventies-colored glory, worked and was clean. I was highly impressed. I'm almost certain that the best interior equipment in the old scheme has been saved from cars that do get their overhauls and re-used on the ones that don't, as evidenced by this car. It's thirty years old and I could hardly tell, except for the colors.

So in summary, getting outlets at your seat is still a crapshoot. There is a pair of outlets at the center of the car on both sides for a vacuum. Don't forget the lounge if you're short.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page