RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Depot Inn trip (La Plata, MO)

Author Topic: Depot Inn trip (La Plata, MO)
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are thinking of hopping No. 3 to La Plata on March 30 and returning on No. 4 to Chicago on April 1.

Question: How muddy is the track from the Inn to the lookout site going to be? Will I need hip boots to make the trudge?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent an email to a friend who was just there a few days ago to see what the conditions were like. I'll let you know if I hear back (or if he posts the answer here).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently, ground around Kansas City is saturated. Normal walking on a lawn = squishing up water.

Missouri River at Leavenworth Centennial Bridge, KS, is about 3 feet below bank full. Normally this time of year, its about 12 feet below full.

Another river in my neck of the woods is six inches below flood stage.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been there when the path is muddy. Just walk to either side of the road and you will get to the Chris guenzler Million Mile Lookout Point.

Enjoy your visit!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you call the Depot Inn they'll probably send someone down to pick you up.

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
My wife and I are thinking of hopping No. 3 to La Plata on March 30 and returning on No. 4 to Chicago on April 1.

Question: How muddy is the track from the Inn to the lookout site going to be? Will I need hip boots to make the trudge?

What can you tell me about the lookout site. I'm needing an education.
Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go:

http://www.trainweb.com/depotinn/lookout.html

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A week to go -- and TV is full of flooding in Missouri. Is La Plata flooded? I can't seem to find out anywhere.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the National Weather Service

http://www.weather.gov/alerts/mo.html

there are no flood advisories in Macon or Adair counties (the La Plata area). No part of the town that I remember appeared to be on a flood plain, and the Depot Inn is uphill from the tracks.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest you call the INN. They can give you all the info you need and you can get it from "the horses mouth". ( the ponies are probably not quite as informed)
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Ah, Rocket, many thanks. That's a good site to know. I had been looking for maps of the flood area.

Train lady, the Inn, alas, never answered my query about alternative means to get to the lookout shack. I don't know if they'll answer a registered guest on the cusp of cancellation.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, on their web site they say there are free golf carts to get yourself to the lookout and they also give an 800 # Have you tried their web site?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Train lady, yes I have been on their web site (it's a lovely one, too) and have noted the golf cart feature. They say the golf carts are available except in the winter -- and this winter seems to have hung on far past its welcome. But I am assured that if I stick to the grass on the side of the track to the lookout, I'll be OK. I would rather not have to row out there, hence the question about the flooding.

I have just spent fifteen minutes looking up the Inn on Tripadvisor.com (the best source for traveler reviews) and noted the long strings of highly favorable notices of the Inn -- except from a group of quilters who stayed there last July. Sounds as if it were a failure of communications between the quilters and hotel management over what was expected.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Henry....the quilter thing was ridiculous. As you already saw, everyone (including myself) gave the Depot Inn outstanding reviews. I also gave some constructive criticism, but the minor items I encountered did not detract from my visit at all. I look forward to going back there again and again (been there twice already). But I think the quilters was a case of one person getting grumpy about something minor, then making a mountain out of a molehill, and everyone else sorta latched onto that vibe. Then someone came up with the idea of, "Hey, let's all give the horrible reviews on TripAdvisor.com". Hopefully, most people will be able to figure it out for themselves when they see that the ONLY bad reviews are from one specific group of people, with (IMHO) very unrealistic expectations from their hotel visit.

If you don't mind, once you have visited the Depot Inn, if you could give us your review of how easy (or difficult) it was to get out to the lookout shack. On my prior two visits, once it was warm weather and the other time it was winter, but snow (and mud) were not issues heading out there. I know some die-hards would do anything to get out there, and then say it's "no problem". But I think if anyone has limited abilities, brittle old bones, etc, then I honestly don't know how a person would get out there if they did not have a 4WD vehicle. It's easy to say, "Just walk out there" when that's an easy thing for a person to do. But for those who don't have it so easy, I still think it will be a significant problem on getting out there. And you're right about the golf carts---they're great during the warmer months, but right now they wouldn't make it 5 feet onto the dirt road before getting stuck.

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Depot Inn is an excellent hotel with a special railroad theme. The Exhibition of Amtrak History is excellent. The Lookout Point is easy
to get to even if the path is muddy. Walk out to the path and if muddy walk along the edge and you won't have a problem. The Golf Cart is used only when the weather is warm and dry so you won't get stuck. I have walked out toi the Lookout Point in all kinds of weather with no problem. Also the Depot Inn Staff is fantastic
and always go out of the way to help you. Enjoy
your stay.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I should tell folks -- especially after all the nice responses to my original question -- that I've had to cancel next weekend's trip owing to unforeseen circumstances. But I definitely will pay that visit this fall.

Thanks to all.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page