RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train # 284 information please

Author Topic: Train # 284 information please
8notch
Member # 404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8notch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
This will be my first trip on this train. I'm going from NFL to NYP in a few weeks.
Could someone tell me how many cars usually run on this train and alos is there any photos of this train that I can see? What about the business class. Does it have its own car?
Thanks for any help.
Robert.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr./Ms. 8notch -- check out railpictures.net for photos of trains. You can key in "New York" and "AMTRAK" and you will get all kinds of photos of NY AMTRAK trains -- I am sure there are several photos of 284 or other similar "Empire Service" trains . All photos are labeled as to what train they are and where the photo was taken.

And also -- welcome to our forum!! I hope you will enjoy "talking trains" with us!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8notch
Member # 404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8notch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH,
Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.
This is a great site.
Robert

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train 284 and the majority of the Empire Service trains almost always consist of 1 locomotive and 5 cars: 4 coaches then a dinette. Half of the dinette is tables the other half is a 2 and 1 seated business class. I highly recommend business class. It's much more peaceful and non-alocoholic drinks, if I'm not mistaken are free.

[URL=http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=51634&nseq=11 ]railpictures.net[/URL]

Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One 700-series dual-mode engine, one combination cafe/tables/biz car, four short-distance Amfleet I coaches. You may want to consider biz class if it's not sold out yet. The seats are a little bigger and probably have a working leg rest and chances are you won't be around as many loud or obnoxious people. The biggest perk for me last time (first time in the biz on an Empire service train) was that I could read the NY Times, which is provided.
If you supply an exact date of travel, I can give you a better clue as to what your train will consist of just before you leave. I'm not going to be on 284, but I will be riding 286 the day after Easter.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page