RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » EMPIRE BUILDER

Author Topic: EMPIRE BUILDER
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are traveling the EB west from Chicago to East Glacier Station this summer. We will be staying at the Glacier Park Lodge. How close is GP Lodge to the East Glacier Station? Can we walk to the lodge? Any suggestions for this trip? We will be taking a couple of tours. Looking forward the trip!
-Rail Fan

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lodge is approximately 100 yards from the station, if I remember correctly. My family and I have taken three trips from Chicago to Glacier Park to the lodge, and it is easy to hump one's baggage from rail to hostelry. I think, however, that the lodge may have a vehicle to pick up riders incapable of traveling light. Call the lodge to be sure.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely take the red bus tour. Driving over the Going to the Sun Road is an adventure, and if someone else is doing the driving, you get to see the scenery. As part of that trip, you will stop at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex. When you come back to Glacier Park in the winter, that is the place to stay.

Consider a trip to Many Glacier Lodge on Swiftcurrent Lake in the northern part of the park. One of these days, I'd like to stay up there. You may find a tour going up there, or you could rent a car for a day.

If you are hikers (or even just walkers), the Highline trail from Logan Pass is not steep and gives you a taste of the backcountry. It's not wooded, so take sunscreen and keep your eyes open for wildlife (including bears). We once ate lunch in a herd of mountain goats off that trail (they wandered by while we were eating), and we also saw bighorn sheep on that trail.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question, with reference to both the Glacier Park Lodge and the Isaak Walton Inn.

As the Empire Builder, eastbound, arrives at both lodges in the early morning, and arrives, westbound, in the early evening, do either of the lodges offer half-day rates? I think, especially with the east-bound Builder, it would be nice to check into your lodge when the train arrives, rather than wait around for, maybe 6+ hours.

Dittos on Many Glacier Lodge..great place for some good photos.

Another question, any recommendations with regard to lodging if one got off at West Glacier (Apgar)?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it is still true, but back in the 1980s and early 1990s, when we visited Glacier Park three summers, all rooms in all lodges were fully booked by February 1, and all spaces on "jammer" (red bus) trips were fully booked as well. We learned to call to make our reservations at 12:01 a.m. on January 1 for our trips to Glacier in August.

Of course things might have changed since then. But I'd call right away.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Regarding the Highline Trail to Granite Park Chalet, the smart hiker takes TWO lunches . . . one for himself and one for the mountain sheep, which are skilled at the shakedown. They will aggressively bar your way on the trail unless you give them one of your nice meatloaf sandwiches freshly packed that morning at Many Glacier. I was a victim.
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regard to Yukon11's question, unfortunately the Izaak Walton Inn does not have a 1/2 day rate, so if you arrive in the AM, your room will not be available until the afternoon. However, they will store your luggage while you have lunch or go for a hike, There is a bathroom available on the first floor & the bar is probably open. You could hope for a late train - the day we left, the eastbound EB arrived about 11:10 AM.

Someone has been feeding the wildlife on the Highline Trail. I did notice the goats were more prevalent around Logan Pass the last time I was there as opposed to when we hiked the trail. And the mountain sheep (when we hiked) were wary & elusive. Sounds like things have changed.

When I did the red bus tour in summer 2005, the IWI had packages that included the tour, so maybe some seats are set aside for them. I reserved in March for an early August date. Also another guest was ill on the day they were to go & they were able to get on the tour the next day. So don't give up on the tour if you haven't booked by now. There may be some "package deals" available at either lodge.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page