RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Houston to Seattle, via LAX

Author Topic: Houston to Seattle, via LAX
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've booked my June trip to Seattle and am scheduled to ride the Sunset Limited to LAX, then bus it to Bakersfield, commuter train it to Sacramento and continue to Seattle via Coast Starlight.

The Starlight leaves LAX at 10:15, and the Sunset is scheduled to arrive at 10:10. Amtrak Guest Rewards would not allow me to book that connection, nor would they allow me to lay-over in LAX to take the Starlight the next day.

If... I say IF the Sunset is early, I could jump straight onto the Starlight, instead of taking the bus/commuter to catch up to the Starlight. Anyone know if this is allowed?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 99% certain that this is not allowed. Since it's an AGR ticket, you must be ticketed to get onto the Coast Starlight. The only other way on is to buy a separate ticket, but that sorta defeats the purpose of using AGR points. [Wink]

I don't like the "no overnight" rule when using AGR. Many trains have unreliable connections, so it's wise to stay overnight in a hotel in places like Los Angeles, Chicago, Portland, etc......

I've taken the bus to Bakersfield and San Joaquin from there many, many times. The bus ride truly isn't bad. It's over before you know it. The buses are new MCI or Prevost models (run by Coach America on the LAX-BFD run), and you leave the LA valley, cruise over the Grapevine, land in the valley, and a little while later you're at the BFD Amtrak station where your train will be waiting for you. I usually fall asleep on the bus, or watch a movie on my iPod----and the bus trip comes and goes very quickly.

My only complaint about the San Joaquin trains is that they do not use the California Cars that were part of the newer "Surfliner" order of cars. What this means is that the seats do not recline on most cars on this train. They tend to use the "Surfliner" cars on the short Capitol Corridor trains (as well as the Superliners), which I have never understood since the SJ trains are a much longer run. For people with back pain problems, those stiff, upright seats get very uncomfortable after a few hours.

If you are traveling Coach on the Starlight, if your Sunset Limited arrives into LAX in time to catch #14's departure, maybe you can ask the Conductor on that train how much a coach ticket will cost you to go from LAX to SAC, and then resume your AGR reservation from there? This way, you won't miss the daytime coast views that #14 provides. It's probably not too bad of a fare from LAX to SAC, so that might be a possibility.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty -

I agree in regard to the AGR redemption. It's hard to move past planning itineraries to maximize the 'bang for your buck'. AGR is a great tool but sometimes I'm inclined to sacrifice quality for quantity.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing a quick Amtrak look-see, it would cost an additional $111 for the wife & I to travel coach to Sacramento. If I did that, I might be able to persuade my sleeping car attendant to let me jump into my sleeper early, instead of waiting until 11:59 pm in SAC.

I guess we will wait and see if the Sunset arrives early on June 20.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page