TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak promotion

Author Topic: Amtrak promotion
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Amtrak Media Relations:

BUY ONE GET ONE FREE ON AMTRAK FOR TRAVEL ON
NATIONAL TRAIN DAY

Special offer available for sale for one day -- April 4th

WASHINGTON – Amtrak passengers can celebrate the first annual National Train Day by traveling by train and taking a friend along for free with Amtrak’s Buy One Get One Free offer. This special offer is for one free companion ticket with the purchase of one full-fare adult ticket and is available for sale April 4th only for travel on May 10th, National Train Day.

Amtrak is celebrating its first annual National Train Day to raise awareness of the vital role rail plays in our nation’s transportation system.

On May 10th, Amtrak will host events at its stations in Washington, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles with live musical performances, exhibits, trip planning, VIP appearances and trip giveaways. Local events are being planned by communities across the country.

Families can save even more on travel on National Train Day with Amtrak’s every-day discount for kids. Children ages 2 to 15 receive 50% off most Amtrak rail fares anywhere in the U.S., every day, when accompanied by a full-fare paying adult. Up to two children may travel at half-price with each full-fare paying adult including those traveling on a free companion ticket as a part of the National Train Day promotion.

The National Train Day Buy One Get One Free offer is for coach travel and Acela Express Business class only and is subject to availability. Reservations must be made on April 4th for travel on May 10th using discount code H768. Passengers must travel together on the same trains and have tickets issued at the same time. The offer may not be combined with any other offer and restrictions may apply.

To make a reservation on April 4th, log onto Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL. For more information on National Train Day, log onto NationalTrainDay.com.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yee Haw......

Gonna take my wifie for a train ride and won't spend no extra penney.

OK - NOT a poet.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused about this. To get the 1/2 fare, do you have to go AND come on the same day? What about if someone wanted to go from Oakland to Reno; could they come back for 1/2 price even if it were the next day? Because I don't think you can do it on the same day.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything old is new again.

RETURN OF THE FAMILY FARE...as practiced on the UP, ATSF, SP, GN, NP, CB&Q, CMStP&P, RI, NYC, PRR, D&H, E-L, ...

One adult travelled full
The other, half

Older kids (12-18) half
Younger kids (5-12) quarter

Youngest kids (under 5) free

One sample:
http://www.adspast.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=23520&cat=318&page=11

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that the free fare applies only for travel originating on May 10 but I'm not for certain on that.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Amtrak site it says the fare is only for travel on May 10. It also says you can use this offer for any stations in the system and trael must be on that day. It is most confusing because many trips are overnight and how that works out they do not say,
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! thanks for the info

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyAlweg
Member # 5407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MightyAlweg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how odd that this fare is only for sale on one day, April 4th.
Posts: 56 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the same e-mail from AMTRAK, presumably because we have reservations for this summer. I didn't read it carefully, but yes, I do believe you have to begin and end on the same day to get the special fare.

90 days and counting until our big summer train trip (and I hope the Coast Starlight line is reopened by then!!!)...............

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page