RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Washington DC to Boston

Author Topic: Washington DC to Boston
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any advice on travelling from Washington DC to Boston at the end of July would be appreciated.
According to my Amtrak Winter 2008 timetable there appear to be only three trains which take checked baggage and probably not at times when we would be travelling. Are the luggage lockers on Acela trains suitable for normal sized suitcases? My wife and I would have one case each.
Presumably the Acela experience is worth having? As this will be our only major railway experience in the US this year we are willing to pay for the upgrade to 1st class if the experience warrants it.
What are the accommodation and service on the Regional service like?
Is there anything of significance in the Boston area and to the immediate north to interest a rail fan?
Thank you in anticipation!

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do keep in mind that, unlike the airlines, it is not mandatory that you travel with your luggage. AFAIK there is nothing stopping you from checking your luggage early in the day and having it forwarded while you are still touring Washington, then picking it up at your convenience when you finally arrive in Boston.

ETA: While not rail-related, I found the USS Constitution worthy of a visit while in Boston.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the only checked baggage service between Was. and Bos. is on the night owl tr. 66/67. But as said you can certainly check ahead but would be the night before actually...

Not really desireable.

The Acela is a wonderful experience to try at least once. Whether F/C or not, I will defer to others.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also if you are checking bags through remember tht you must do it at least a half hour before departure. We always get to the station earlier and have the red cap check our bags through . then we are free to eat or wander around the shops without worryin about bags. One year we went to LA by way of DC,San Antonio and LA. I just checked them all the awy through and when we got to LA there they were.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Acela is worth experiencing at least once. It's America's only real high speed train (though it's a slowpoke by world standards). The stretch between New York and Boston is the place where it reaches its intended full speed, and it's interesting to notice the train tilting into the curves in CT and RI.
Acela's comfort level is like the Marriott compared to regular Amfleet's Day's Inn. Coach class isn't bad, but try to get FC if possible. The seats are even more comfortable, the meals (included), are WAY better than the Amsandwiches on regular trains, and you get several tracks of music through included headphones. (Even if you have an Ipod, try it out) Both my bags, a full sized wheeled case and an overnighter, were stowed with no problem.

Don't know how far into railfanning you are, but there's the Cape Cod Scenic Railway in Hyannis, and the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you and your spouse are traveling with a steamer trunk each, or two large cases each, you should have no problem storing your baggage in the space provided at the end of the Acela car. The caveat is that you board at the origin station and try to be one of the first.
My bride and I have traveled Acela as the first and final legs of transcontinental trips; and I've just recently returned from at trip from Boston to Sararasota and return in which I traveled Boston to Washington on Acela, transferring there to the Silver Service. Admittedly all our Acela trips have been First Class and all originations at either Boston or Washington. That said, we've never had a problem with space for baggage. The bride takes a fairly large (28"h X 18"l X 14"w), on wheels with a handle with "underseat" sized bag attached to the extended handle. I usually travel with two "underseat" sized bags with a folding trolly.
"Colonial" Boston is rich with history and culture. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit. I would be remiss if I didn't suggest if you have the time and the inclination to visit Philadelphi on your way. It too, is a trove of history and culture. Either way, enjoy.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, I'll second the "advertisement" in the post above. There are more pre-Revolutionary structures still standing in Philadelphia than in Colonial Williamsburg!

But you asked about railfan attractions in Boston. The answer is: there are lots of things to see and do. Even on the weekends, round trips are possible on most of the MBTA commuter rail lines. I'd especially recommend North Station to Rockport, since it runs right on the ocean for part of the trip.

Also, there are some interesting trolley operations. The Green Line, partly on a former Boston & Albany commuter rail ROW, is of particular interest, as is the Mattapan High Speed Line, a unique operation on private ROW that uses PCC cars. South Station is an interesting spot to hang out, and of the south side commuter lines, Greenbush is brand new (just opened) and the line to Forge Park/I95 looks to be worth a trip too.

Don't worry about checking luggage unless you're *really* loaded down. As noted in some of the earlier posts, the overhead bins on Acela Express are quite large, and there are also luggage racks at the ends of the car. Pay a little money for a redcap and you'll get to board early, and he'll handle the luggage for you. For a WAS-BOS trip, I would *definitely* take Acela Express. The trip is an hour and a half to two hours faster than the regional trains, and much more comfortable, even in "business class" (coach). I haven't traveled in first class, but on the weekends fares are quite a bit lower than during the week, so you may want to do this.

Have a good trip.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go first class, you have access to the Washington DC and Boston ACELA lounges, which are pretty nice. In the lounge or in first class, you also might see some politicos of note, esp between DC and NYC. I am not sure you'd want to see them! None of this is really worth the price difference, but as the exchange rate is good and it's a once in a lifetime trip for you . . . what the hey. And, as noted, prices are lower on weekends. Also lower at different times, and if you book more ahead.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page