RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » my semi-trip in April

Author Topic: my semi-trip in April
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to report on my curtailed trip, which was quite wonderful until I had to cut it short because of a bad reaction to antibiotics I was taking for an infection.

The trip began with a trip down to NYC on a morning Empire train, which was on time and very lovely on the Hudson this time of year. My arrival in NYC went smoothly, getting a taxi to a friend's house where I was staying the night. I had an enjoyable day visiting the Teddy Roosevelt House, lunching inexpensively but tastily on Curry Hill, and walking off some of the calories on a nice walk all the way downtown past Gramercy Park and through Greenwich Village and the Lower East Side to Federal Hall and Battery Park.

The next morning I returned to Penn Station and caught a Regional to Providence Rhode Island. This was another smooth and easy ride. I sat on the right facing forward, the best side for the most scenic part of the trip along the LI Sound east of New Haven; but for the NYC departure I moved to a left-side seat for the better view of the Hellgate and upper Manhattan. The train was again on time, and I had no problem meeting my friend at Providence station, near which she was parked. After stashing my luggage in her trunk, we lunched in the nearby mall and went to the Rhode Island statehouse for our visit and tour. We spent 2 nights in Providence, walking on the river walk, in the College Hill area, dining on Federal Hill/Little Italy, visiting the RISD museum, and generally having a very nice time. It's a lovely city, with spectacular colonial architecture, good restaurants . . . really enjoyed it.

On the day we checked out, we also went to Newport, which was simply great--wish I could have spent a week there. I suppose it gets jammed in summers but now off season was a perfect time to walk on the Cliff Walk, the wharves, downtown. We passed many of the fine mansions though did not have time to visit inside. But again, it was great.

That night we returned to my friend's home in Massahusetts, from which we visited Plimouth Plantation next day. I'd never been, and I really really enjoyed it. The actors playing the roles of Mayflower passengers were so cool! It was great fun. We also saw some other area landmarks, quite enjoyable.

The next morning, my friends dropped me in Boston. I was to have gone through Albany on the LSL shuttle and continued on to the Midwest, but my reactions to medications made me decide to terminate the trip instead. I still had to get back to NYS and was expecting to take the LSL shuttle to Albany to do it; however, when I learned in Boston that there was to be bustitution on the LSL shuttle that day, I changed my ticket and traveled the longer route back via NYC instead, because I could not endure (in my medical condition) the thought of a bus toilet! I had no problem on either the Regional or the Empire Service and again had lovely rides.

So, even though I never did get to the midwestern part of this trip, I really enjoyed what I did see. I only hope I can lick this infection and medical reaction fully so that I don't have to cancel my Zephyr trip this summer!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiefbreeze
Member # 7454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiefbreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, that sounds like such a great trip. I've been to New York City, but no farther north. I'd love to see the places you mentioned.
Posts: 11 | From: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that, Sojourner.... I feel your pain! At least you got to take some part of your trip!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sorry to read you had to cut it short. I got sick on a camping trip many years ago. Drank some water that was bad I think. I spent two days in my trailer while my family and parents went off to have a good time. Glad you at least had some good out of it.

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page