RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset East exchange in hearing

Author Topic: Sunset East exchange in hearing
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting exchange on the Sunset East in a Congressional hearing on rail capacity:

Subcommittee Chair Corrine Brown (D-FL) pressed Kummant on the continuing lack of service east of New Orleans along the Sunset Limited route, nearly three years after Hurricane Katrina. Kummant said, “I don’t really see any way to bring back service at this point, with the infrastructure, and there’s no budget for it...It was never very effective service, going through these towns in the middle of the night, three times a week, always late...We’re putting all our energy into corridor discussions in Florida, and we think that corridor service to Mobile could be a good model.”

Brown retorted, “I will continue to provide a lot of pain for you in that area. It’s not just transportation, it’s homeland security, it’s safety. The train could exist to get people out of harm’s way. Of course it wasn’t a good service. We have to work innovatively. We need to work with the communities like New Orleans to create a service that works. It could be a New Orleans-Orlando train with better timing. I wish you would go back to the drawing table and come up with something.” Kummant said, “I understand.”

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiefbreeze
Member # 7454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiefbreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never thought I'd agree with Corrine Brown on anything, but she's right on this.
Posts: 11 | From: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my attempt at posting a link to the hearing video. Keep in mind I only sort of know what I am doing, and have had issues with this in the past. You'll need to copy the address into the address bar/file opening dialogue box of a player capable of handling streaming audio.

http://transportation.edgeboss.net/wmedia/transportation/rr20080423.wvx

When that doesn't work, you may access the stream from the subcommittee's web page here:

http://transportation.house.gov/News/PRArticle.aspx?newsid=579

As always, you cannot fast-forward or skip the disclaimer at the beginning. Since the hearing is two hours long, use this twenty-five minute spot to get something to drink.
Exciting highlights:
  • 1:54- I think SAFETEA-LU is one of the stupidest acronyms I've ever heard. It sounds like a port-a-john marketing initiative or a contrived parody of a Men Without Hats song.
  • 2:07- Where is the future of ground transportation?
  • 2:58- Say it like you mean it!
  • 12:50- Why commuters switch to trains, by Mr. Dale Zehner of VRE
  • 15:35 to 24:16- Testimony by Mr. Alexander Kummant, Prez/CEO, Amtrak
  • 25:50- Mentos?
  • 27:39- That's a lot of trucks. I'd like to hear a similar statistic on how many personal automobiles could be taken off congested freeways and interstates should the 100+ passenger cars laid up at Beech Grove, Bear, and Wilmington be returned to service with Amtrak or commuter rail carriers.
  • 33:30- Don't forget South Dakota!
  • 1:09:55- Discussion of freight penalties for passenger train dispatching delays
  • 1:13:10- That's a bit of a twist.
  • 1:24:32- HSR question
  • 1:27:45- When's the last time you heard 435 miles per gallon?
  • 1:28:05- "No one is safe when we're in session."
  • 1:30:25- Single-word answer.
  • 1:46:17- A question is posed to Mr. Kummant of what ways Amtrak delays attributed to host railroad switching and dispatching are prosecuted.
  • 1:52:42- Whither Sunset East?
  • 2:05:00- NARP reference into record
  • 2:07:00- Keystone Corridor improvements discussion
  • 2:11:57- Closing remarks by President Kummant
  • 2:20:00- Second session begins

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page