RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LAX National Train Day Train Tours?

Author Topic: LAX National Train Day Train Tours?
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Does anyone know which cars/trainsets will be on-hand for train tours in LAX? I've heard one of the Parlour Cars will be there, but nothing else...

Thanks!

Jarrod

Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a list of everything happening at Union Station in Los Angeles:

http://www.nationaltrainday.com/events-information/losangeles

It doesn't mention a Parlour Car specifically, but I would think they would like to show one off there.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing in Kansas....

and RADIO DISNEY in Kirkwood Mo...
MISSOURI
11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Kirkwood Amtrak Station
110 West Argonne Drive
Kirkwood, MO 63122
Celebration includes a special Radio Disney event from 1-3pm, featuring Amtrak ticket giveaways.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here heard of Drake Bell before?

I'm officially middle-aged now and I don't keep up with new recording artists.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clue who Drake Bell is. I saw that too, and thought to myself, "Self, who the hell is that?".
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sentiments exactly -- I too have never heard of Drake Bell, but the list of events happening at LAUS is quite impressive!!! Wish I could be there!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyAlweg
Member # 5407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MightyAlweg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of "Drake Bell" either. I thought maybe he had some sort of railroad significance and you guys would know who he was!

According to Wikipedia, Drake Bell is "an award winning American actor, comedian, guitarist, singer/songwriter and television director." They forgot to mention that he is a famed astronaut scheduled to be the first man on Mars. He's also working on a cure for cancer. He has had one single released in 2007 that went all the way up to #103 on the "Hot 100" charts. (I never knew you could get lower than 100 on the Hot 100 charts.)

I was afraid the "bands" performing at Train Day would be something like this; a D List celebrity that no one has ever heard of. I would have much preferred a couple of high school marching bands performing in the Union Station courtyard, and perhaps a high school chorale performing inside the station itself. That type of local youth talent would have been more entertaining to watch for a few minutes, and the kids would likely be very thankful for the opportunity to play in a unique venue with lots of spectators milling about. And what a perfect civic boost for LA schools!

I just hope Amtrak isn't actually paying Mr. Bell any money to perform at this gig. Sadly, I doubt he's doing this for free.

I am excited about the rest of Train Day activities though. I'm definitely going to head up there this Saturday to check it out. Drake Bell, however, is not on my list of things to see.

Posts: 56 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read online that Drake Bell is from the Hannah Montana TV show... Guess they are trying to reach out and get kids there...
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody taking the Coast Starlight will miss every thing there as it all starts half an hour after we leave!

Great planning by Amtrak and the National Train Day Staff!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Los Angeles gets Drake Bell (who?????), and here is who Chicago gets:

"Free Concert by World Classic Rockers (featuring former members of Santana, Journey, Steppenwolf, Toto & Lynyrd Skynyrd)"

Hmmmmmmmm......Well, I'm flying down to LA on Saturday morning to check out all of the events and train displays, but Drake Bell isn't exactly on my to-do list.

Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Anybody taking the Coast Starlight will miss every thing there as it all starts half an hour after we leave!

Great planning by Amtrak and the National Train Day Staff!

Chris

I know! Total bummer! I'm hoping to walk though the Parlour Car before we leave thought! Hope we get lucky!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page