RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Starlight @ Oakland Terminal/Bus Question

Author Topic: Starlight @ Oakland Terminal/Bus Question
QuickCarrera
Member # 660

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for QuickCarrera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be traveling from LA to Oakland on Amtrak's Starlight w/my daughter (11) soon. My understanding is that Amtrak has its own bus service where we would transfer to get to Fisherman's Wharf.

Is this bus system reliable and timely? Should we find alternative transportation from Oakland to Fisherman's Wharf??

Other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

bp

Posts: 4 | From: So. California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jobong
Member # 1753

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jobong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it waits for the train so u will definately make the connection
Posts: 8 | From: la ca usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please keep in mind that the AMTRAK thru bus going to SF from Oakland station, does not go to Fishermans Wharf. I believe that you will have to get off at the Amtrak office near the Ferry Bldg. in SF. You will then need to get on the MUNI Railway system to get to the Fishermans Wharf area.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the CS usually pulls into Oakland at about 7:30 PM (If it is on time), this would mean that it would be close to 9:00 PM by the time you arrived in the Fishermans Wharf area. I believe that things start closing down there at around 9:30 or 10:00 PM.

To be on the safe side, I would plan to check in to your hotel or motel when you arrive in SF, and then go to Fisherman's Wharf area the next morning.

It is usually a very plesant expierence to walk around Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf at about 9:00 AM due to the fact that there are no crowds there yet and everything is opening up around that time of the morning.

Hope that you and your daughter enjoy your stay in SF.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with KA6BGJ comments. In addition, you may want to consider spending your first night in Jack London Square. There are some nice places to stay and great restaurants in the Square. In the morning, you could take the Ferry directly from the Square, under the Bay Bridge, to Fisherman's Wharf. It's a way to get to the City. Have a nice time!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak Thruway bus service certainly does take you to Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharf. Not only does the bus wait for the Coast Starlight to take you to San Francisco it's departures from Pier 39 to Oakland are on time, too!
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page