RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Trip Report (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coast Starlight Trip Report
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, look at my pictures, one of the first ones shows Art in one of those leather chairs. They are all still there.

Rich - Gateway Plaza is the now opened far end of the station at the end of the platforms. There is a large circle of bus stops heading out all over the town (not the Amtrak Thruway buses, they go out off the main lobby). And there is an escalator to the subway that disgorges hundreds of people at once as we found out one day. The Metrolink trains use the regular train platforms with Amtrak using only the higher number ones, nearest to Gateway Plaza. Long term parking is also via the Plaza so it is a short walk when you return to LA on Amtrak but a long walk to the main lobby when you need to check in or wait for your train. $6 a day, not too bad.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I was in LAUPT, the easy chairs were still there in the main waiting room.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Vicki -- so the Gateway Center would be on the east side of all the platforms that have traditionally been used? (the other end of the tunnel and east of Alameda Street?). I'll have to check it out when we go through there on our trip next month
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this will help:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gateway+plaza+los+angeles&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.137381,73.388672&ie=UTF8&ll=34.055344,-118.233039&spn=0.002569,0.004479&t= h&z=18

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good map Smitty. Rich - zoom out a couple clicks and it is very clear where the Gateway Plaza is, indeed on the east end past the last platform. You will be right near the area when you board or disembark from the Amtrak train.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the map, Smitty!!! That was where I thought it would be based on recent posts here.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing detail in these images. The jacaranda trees (purple) are in bloom and you can "walk" up Alameda Street to Ord and Philippe's! One of the images to the left of the map shows the "other" entry to Union Station clearly labeled as such.

Frank in warm BNA. Back to LAX and SBA tomorrow on Southwest and the Santa Barbara Airbus. I wish there was a train to catch from here.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tootle
Member # 4591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple comments on the LAX Union Station portion of this thread...

I agree that they need more quick food alternatives within the station. Just think how much business a Starbucks would do. Olvera Street has lots of options, but I doubt that many passengers would (a) know about it, and (b) hustle over there for a meal. Phillippe's is another nearby landmark; it claims to be the birthplace of the French Dip sandwich, coffee is still a dime, sawdust on the floor, lines are just about always long and there's a mini-train museum in one of the dining rooms. All just a block or 2 north on Alameda.

When I stopped by Union Station to buy tickets (with points, so it had to be in person) about three months ago, the lovely old ticketing area was being set up for a wedding reception. I wonder how frequently it's used for private events.

--------------------
Sue B

Posts: 11 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page