TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sold out trains

Author Topic: Sold out trains
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning, as an exercise in curiosity, I decided to see if coach seats were still available on No. 5 from Chicago to Denver for the next nine days, including today.

Six of those days are sold out.

That's heartening. Back in the 1990s, when I was doing research for "Zephyr," I was always able to get a seat on a moment's notice, and the train was never ever full except for a few of the winter holidays.

Maybe others could do the same for the next nine days for their favorite trains, counting the sold out days.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked No. 59 from Chicago to New Orleans. The train is sold out for today but there are seats available every day from the 7th through the 14th.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checkd 29 (the Capitol) and the price kept changing from a high of &155 to a low of $97. there were coach seats available but no other options available. If I check back I wouldn't be surprised to find both price and options have changed.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I peeked at Train #30 for my upcoming 6/21 departure from CHI to WAS. Sleepers are sold out, and there are but 6 coach seats left on the train.

One train I noticed an amazing amount of sell outs on last summer was 19/20, the Crescent. I'm sure this summer will provide some interesting sales results as well.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Crescent route is traditionally very strong ridership-wise dating back to the last decade of Southern Railway operation. O course the train would regularly leave DC with 7-8 full coaches and 4-5 sleepers. The further south it went the more folks would leave the train and not be replaced BUT it would still be more full than the current Crescent's capacity when it reached Atlanta.

As late as July 1978 I was on a Southern Crescent that departed Washington in two sections as far as Greensboro. The coaches and a lounge car were one 10 car section, the sleepers and diner were another 10 car section. Four of the sleepers were dropped in Greensboro and the remaining 16 cars were switched back into a single train from Greensboro southward.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The June 15th version of the EB hasn't seat one available for sale CHI/SEA. Not coach not sleeper not anything. Don't know if it's the whole long way or just some intermediate segments. Either way we'll opt for the early diner seating for best choice.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While booking a trip from Chicago to Portland I noticed lots of sold out trains. The Empire Builder was sold out (Seattle and Portland sections) on my preferred days plus or minus 2 days. Having taken the Empire Builder more than enough I'm pleased to take other routes. Here's what I found when I booked my trip last week:

Chicago to Los Angeles to Portland (June 29-July 2):

Train 3(29) - Southwest Chief: Only 4 roomettes available, all in the transition sleeper

Train 14(1) - Coast Starlight: Only one! roomette available, in the transition sleeper

Portland to Sacramento to Chicago (July 7-10)

Train 11(7) - Coast Starlight: Only one! roomette available, in the transition sleeper

Train 6(8) - California Zephyr: Only 4 roomettes available, all in the transition sleeper

Summary: Very low roomette availability, direct route sold out. I'm pleased to take some routes I haven't taken in awhile, but bummed that all my rooms are in the transition sleepers..... where the cost is high and the service low.

Cheers,
David Z

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might the increase in sellouts have something to do with shorter trains?
The last three or four times I've seen the Texas Eagle come through St. Louis it had just 6 cars. When I took it to San Antonio back in 2001, it had 9 cars.

Can the same be said for the Zephyr?

--------------------
Heros get remembered, but Legends never die.
Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

How do you figure out the number of sleeper accommodations available and the car they are in? Are you using Amtrak.com or do you have access to another systerm?

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
David--

How do you figure out the number of sleeper accommodations available and the car they are in? Are you using Amtrak.com or do you have access to another systerm?

Frank in sunny SBA

Frank-

I use amtrak.com. To determine the remaining rooms I pretend to book 8 people for the same train I'm interested in, click "View Upgrade Options." Look at the Quantity column and click on the quantity pull down menu for the type of accommodation you're interested in. The list will contain any where from a single "1" if one room is available to a list from "1" to "8" if eight or more rooms are available. The largest number in the pull down menu indicates the number of remaining rooms of that particular accommodation type. I hope my explanation is clear.

Cheers,
David

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

Very clever! Does it also give you the car and location within the car? You had mentioned you knew that some of the available roomettes were in the Transition Dorm.

Frank in cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Frank -

After determining that there was only a single room left on the train I wanted to travel I acted quickly to book space. I booked the space and received the room assignment and found out, much to my disappointment, that the only remaining room was in the transition sleeper. Any roomette in the 15-24 range is automatically in the Transition Dorm. The only trick I know to find out remaining room numbers prior to booking on a particular train is to call the reservation center and ask. Some agents seem more helpful at this task than others.

David

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
David--

I know what you mean. I called wanting to change a room assignment and was told it wasn't possible. I waited ten minutes and called back. Different agent and no problem. I had my choice of several.

Frank in cooling SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page