RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight relaunch today

Author Topic: Coast Starlight relaunch today
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have written a sort of live "blog" from today's Coast Starlight over on Trainorders. The link is:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1689627,page=1

You must be a paying member in order to see full-sized photos. If you are not a member, you will only see thumbnail photos but you can still read the text normally. The thread has made it to page 3 already, but I'm not sure if non-members can access anything beyond page 1. If I could, I would just copy and paste my comments into this forum, but I have been adding comments all day long so that would be quite time consuming.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I will be online off and on all evening, as well as tomorrow also.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cannot access it. I guess you will need to do a copy & paste for here.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, those of us who don't belong to train orders can't see beyond page one of your thread. I hope you can give us a summary of the trip after SBA when you have a chance.
Very interesting. See what Sue and I both said, the food is still an issue.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure why you can't access it. I just logged out of Trainorders, and then clicked on the link above in my post and it took me straight there. In case there is weird computer stuff going on because I'm using a Mac, here are different instructions:

1) Open your web browser

2) Type in this address:

http://www.trainorders.com/

3) Scroll down just a little bit, and start looking for a link that says, "Passenger Trains" on the left side of the page

4) Click "Passenger Trains"

5) Now look for the topic that says, "The Coast Starlight Has Been Relaunched!"

6) Click this title

7) Read the thread

Did this work?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
My latest comments (on page 3 of that thread) talk about tonight's dinner service. First of all, it was very slow. Also, I ordered the veggie lasagna and when it arrived it did not look like lasagna (it was white). I asked where the red sauce was (marinara) and they said that they ran out and used a white sauce. It was not very tasty. A few minutes ago, they ran out of lasagna. I will say that the Flat Iron steak looked great, and people said it was great as well.

I can try to copy/paste my comments into here, but without the pictures it might not make a whole lot of sense. Let me see if I can figure out a way to do it. I've been typing all day. [Smile]

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well guys, it's late and I need to get some sleep. It's been a long day, with a late flight last night and not the best sleep in my hotel last night. So I definitely need some z's. I am going to copy and paste my comments below, but they will not have picture. I'm so sorry about that! One day when I get my PhD in computer engineering, I will then be able to post photos on this forum. [Smile] But seriously, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer it. If I don't have an answer, I will ask one of the MANY managers on-board this train.

Since my copied notes below are from another website and they had photos attached, I apologize in advance if it doesn't flow and read as well as I would like it to. Here we go:
Below are some random shots from today's re-launch of the Coast Starlight out of Los Angeles. There was a ceremony in the courtyard of Union Station with managers and a city councilman. I did not attend this event, so there are no photos (sorry).

Traxx Restaurant was used for sleeping car passengers as a pre-departure lounge where juice and coffee were available. They also gave away Coast Starlight pins with the new logo.

With the exception of the refurbished Parlour Car (we have Santa Lucia Highlands/39973), I don't really notice any differences. Specifically, all of the sleeping cars are Superliner II sleepers. They have not been refurbished and are just the standard sleepers. There are no extra amenities in the sleepers, with the exception of the attendant coming through with a fresh fruit basked (oranges and apples) and beverages (champagne or apple cider).

Also of note, today's #14 has 3 locomotives up front. There are also more Amtrak managers on-board then I have ever seen (I think there might be more than the "Kummant Express" back in October of 2006).

In the dining car, the menu is exactly the same--no change at all. They are using the same disposable plates, cups, etc. I'm not sure what happened with the idea of using regular china (similar to the Empire Builder), but I will ask one of the managers next time one of them walks by. I made a lunch reservation for high noon here in the Parlour Car so that I can see how it goes. There are only two menu choices for dining in the PPC: Chef's salad and a pasta dish. We'll see how it goes.

Today's train is very full. The Conductor said we would be full within a few more stops (probably by SBA?).

I'll update this thread throughout the trip if anything interesting pops up. Any questions, just let me know.

A few more. I'm glad they brought back the gong thing (anyone know those are called?). Also a picture of the new big-screen Plasma TV with Yamaha surround-sound. Very nice!!

Here are some more pictures courtesy of Paul (railforum.com member). The photo in the PPC is of Jonathan Hutchinson with a certificate that Amtrak was presented with by a Los Angeles City Councilman for being environmentally friendly.

I'm also told that this train has a "Coast Starlight" drumhead on the rear! I haven't seen it yet, but I will try to get a photo at the fresh air stop at SBA if there is time.Here is the consist of today's train courtesy of "ken15" who is riding to SBA:

AMTK 113
AMTK 118
AMTK 120
Baggage 1734
Transition Sleeper 39005
Superliner II sleeper 32094 (Montana)
Superliner II sleeper 32078 (Florida)
Superliner II sleeper 32118 (Wyoming)
PPC 39973/Santa Lucia Highlands
Superliner II diner 38055
Superliner II refurb lounge (wth tables) 33042
Coach 34028
Coach 34510 (Video Arcade car)
Coach 34064
Coach 34061

One of the coach cars has a video arcade on the lower level. I will get pictures later.

Update on the plates/cups in the diner (per Brian Rosenwald): They wanted to go to china in the dining car, but fiscally it could not be worked out. It is cheaper to use disposable dinnerware instead of hiring another person to wash the dishes. He hopes to go back to using china next fiscal year, but right now it's sort of up in the air as to whether this will take place.

Well this was a neat surprise. At Santa Barbara there was a huge crowd gathered to greet the Coast Starlight. Local news stations were there (I saw CBS 12 but I did not ID the others). Local politicians talked about the positive aspects of Amtrak travel, including Green Santa Barbara (?? I might have this name wrong...someone please correct me on this). They have partnered with Amtrak in promoting green travel methods.

Some pictures are attached below of Brian Rosenwald addressing the crowd, as well as the Mayor of Santa Barbara breaking a bottle of champagne on the Parlour Car.

Edit: In the last photo of Her Honor breaking the champagne bottle, the head you see is the guy I will call, "There's one in every crowd". Everyone was standing back to get good photos, but this guy walked around like he owned the place, jumping in front of everyone's shot. What an idiot.

For those who are interested in the wines that are offered during the wine tasting in the Parlour Car, I will list below what is being offered. I am not knowledgeable at all with wine, so maybe someone out there can chime in on these selections?

Day 1:

Taz Pinot Gris 2006 (Santa Barbara County)
Estancia Pinot Noir 2006 (Monterey County)
Greg Norman Petite Sirah 2005 (Paso Robles)
Jekel Riesling 2006 (Monterey County)

Day 2:

Hogue Cellars Chardonnay 2006 (Columbia Valley, Washington)
Snoqualmie Whistle Stop Red 2006 (Columbia Valley, Washington)
Columbia Crest Shiraz Grand Estates 2006 (Columbia Valley, Washington)
Columbia Winery Riesling 2006 (Yakima Valley, Washington)

Here are two items from tonight's dinner menu:

1) Flat Iron Steak (I'm told this was very good)

2) Vegetarian Lasagna (I ordered this and, unfortunately, it was not very good. I asked why it did not have marinara sauce and I was told that they ran out. I guess the chef had to make do with what he had, but it still was not very tasty. A short time later, they ran out of lasagna completely. I was surprised that this would happen on relaunch day with so many eyes focused on this train).

Here is a Parlour Car update for those who are following and/or interested:

Tomorrow's Coast Starlight out of Los Angeles (Wednesday, June 11th) will NOT have a Parlour Car. I saw this trainset today at SLO (with 39975), and it will be taken off in LA tonight. Amtrak is having serious mechanical issues with these cars since they returned from Beech Grove. I don't know if Thursday's Coast Starlight will have a PPC or not. Amtrak management needs to figure out what to do.

The air conditioning in today's PPC (39973) quit working in the middle of the day. It was 98 degrees outside when we passed through Paso Robles this afternoon, and needless to say, it was hotter than hell in the PPC. Thank goodness the a/c in my sleeping car is working well.

For those who have been wondering where 39974 is and why it has not been mentioned anywhere, it's because it is still back at Beech Grove. This is not good, as this was the 5th "protect" car for the 4-set Coast Starlight trainsets. 39974 is having mechanical issues.

On an editorial note/personal opinion, Amtrak spent $600,000 PER CAR to refurbish these beautiful cars. Why in the heck are they having these issues, and why weren't they discovered sooner? This should not have happened.

One more Parlour Car update:

The theater in the lower level is only showing one movie. The movie they have right now is "Ice Age 2". It is the only movie that Fox Movie Studios has licensed to Amtrak for use. I had a long conversation with the on-board manager on this train about various things, including the downstairs theater, and unfortunately Amtrak has no plans to market the theater as an amenity to passengers. Right now they are gearing up towards marketing the room for business meetings, where the space can be rented out and used for private meetings. There are no future plans to add any more movies to the cars this summer. They are already targeting their marketing to the asian business market.

I'm no business expert, nor am I a marketing expert......but I think it's safe to say that I'm an expert Amtrak passenger. I've been a loyal customer of theirs since 1980, and I am an Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus passenger. Based upon my own personal experience, I just don't see how the lower level theater of the Parlour Car can be marketed for business meetings. This is mostly a pleasure/vacation train. This train hits college campuses up and down the west coast, and also receives large groups of people heading up to Seattle or Vancouver (BC) to catch a cruise ship. I don't know about you other guys out there who are experienced with Coast Starlight travel, but have you seen a large asian market on this train? I haven't.

Maybe I'm wrong, and there actually is a market for this. What do you think?

(As an aside, the way I first got started into asking a lot of questions about the Parlour Car is that I asked the PPC attendant when the movies would be shown, since I had not heard any announcements for it all day. Unfortunately, she gave me the answer that I had feared and mentioned on TO several weeks ago: "Nobody has trained me how to turn it on". In all fairness, it is her first day working in the Parlour Car and she has her hands full with a sold-out train and lots of managers breathing down her neck. But still, I had hopes that little things like this would have been taken care of prior to the official launch)

Does this make any sense? It wasn't one continuous report....it was broken up into individual postings throughout the entire day, with comments from people in-between my comments. I hope it's somewhat readable.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty -- your report was indeed quite "readable!!" Thanks a lot! Don't need the pictures, since you explained everything pretty well. It sounds like there are still some issues with the PPC, and on any given day this summmer, the CS may or may not have one in the consist, right?

Again, thanks for the report!!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It worked for me, too, Smitty!

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, good...whew! I'm glad it's readable.

We are passing through Mt Shasta right now where the temp is 39 degrees. In Klamath Falls it is 29 degrees. I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, and I didn't bring a jacket or long pants. It was 98 when I left home yesterday! [Smile]

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much Smitty, your report makes excellent sense! And I love the "I haven't been trained yet" comment, just as you predicted. Asian business meetings? They must be smoking something really good.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An excellent report. I am one of the non-paying original members of Trainorders so I was able to read it there and view the thumbnail photos. It seems the re-launch should be given a mixed review. Glad to hear that the parlour car has been restored, but disappointed to see that the dining car still has plastic plates, and the sleeping cars are not refurbished and they don't have the amenities they used to have, e.g. better towels, flowers in the room, special soaps etc.

Amtrak's idea of not using the downstairs movie theatre for the passengers makes no sense. First-class passengers are paying a substantial surcharge for these extras so they should have full use of the parlour car. Hoping to market the theatre for business meetings isn't likely to succeed. I am booked this December in a bedroom from Seattle to Los Angeles, and I do hope all the little kinks have been worked out by then.

Also glad to hear that the dinner chimes have made a return. I recall when Canadian Pacific used them on The Canadian, so I knew it was time to struggle out of bed for a wonderful RR breakfast. I also recall that some steamship companies used them to summon the passengers to dinner, and the tune they played was something called the Roastbeef of Old England.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyAlweg
Member # 5407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MightyAlweg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting reports here!

I'm fascinated by the things Amtrak put in the brochures as being part of the service: such as upgraded bedding, breakfast in bed service, espresso machine, fine dining, etc., etc., but they aren't offering them or have made barely noticeable changes to the previous service. I know that if we tried that sort of thing at Disneyland via stated claims in glossy brochures that we didn't actually offer, the paying guests would kill us. How does Amtrak get away with it legally? Is there fine print at the bottom of the brochure that says "All information subject to change without notice"? Still, it seems like a classic bait and switch with so many of the brochure claims missing in action on Day One.

I can understand the attendant not yet trained on all the equipment, and the air conditioning conking out unexpectedly. I wouldn't be happy about it, and it's not a sign that things are being managed well, but at least that's understandable a bit. But the lack of stated amenities like upgraded linens, food offerings, Sleeper amenities, etc. is inexcusable in my opinion. Either they ordered the new sheets and breakfast baskets, or they didn't. Which is it Amtrak?

I go back and forth on whether or not it was a good idea to book my CS trip this August, versus just taking the plane back home.

And I'm with you smitty, the thought that anyone would rent out the downstairs theater for a "business meeting" is just bizarre. And that somehow a manager would have been given information that "Asians" would be the primary market only adds to the misguided randomness of that information.

I don't think it matters if you are Asian or Oregonian or Martian, I seriously doubt you would have a group of co-workers on a long distance train together who need meeting space. That is just really weird.

Posts: 56 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty - was that you with the blue CS shirt and white shorts? Yesterday was alot of fun - I was thinking that might be you, but I didn't want to look like a fool if it wasn't... lol
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hey Jarrod that was me! Where were you? You should have said hi. As Austin Powers says, "I don't bite........hard". LOL!
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Here is some more info I posted over on Trainorders that some might find useful:

As I promised earlier, here is a brief rundown on the services that are being offered on the relaunched Coast Starlight. I will show which services are available so far, and which are not yet available. I’m taking this straight from Amtrak’s pamphlet titled, “Rediscover the Coast Starlight. See the West Coast by rail”:

PARLOUR CAR:

•“Specialty coffee bar offering espresso, lattes, cappuccino, and hot chocolate”

Not yet available. The espresso machine is installed, but they are not using it yet. They should be using it within a few days.

•“An onboard theatre often shows new and classic movies on a 50” plasma HD monitor with an expanded sound system”

The theater is here, with the new plasma screen and sound system, however, it has not been turned on yet. Only one movie is available (“Ice Age 2”). See my previous comments for more on this. I don’t understand the concept of a beautiful movie theater that won’t be used a movie theater. (I saw and heard the theater up and running on National Train Day in Los Angeles last month, and the picture and sound were both excellent. Too bad this train’s passengers will not get to experience this.)

•“Reading materials and board games await”

The library cabinet does have a nice assortment of books and games, and they are being used widely.

•“Appetizers and assorted beverages are available for purchase throughout the day”

Yes. Everything advertised is available.

SLEEPING CARS:

•“All of our sleeping cars feature new, more luxurious linens for your comfort.”

No. Same sheets, blankets, and towels.

•“You’ll also receive a Welcome Gift of sparkling wine or cider, and fresh fruit”

Yes. The sleeping car attendant offered wine or cider to passengers, as well as bringing around a basket of apples and oranges. This was done after departure from LAX. (Note: My sleeper attendant knew nothing about this until some passengers asked about it. The attendant went to the Parlour Car to ask what this was, and she was then given a box of supplies to bring back to her car)

“....and a Personal Amenities Kit that includes shampoo, soaps, and lotions”

No. None of the sleeping car attendants seemed to know anything about this. However, the on-board manager did and explained that the items have not been delivered yet. (I’m not certain I understand why an item such as this, with such a long lead-in time, is not available. I can go online right now and have a few thousand FedEx’d to me overnight. They might not be customized with the Coast Starlight logo, but at least they would be available right away)

•“….Breakfast in bed---a basket with juice, coffee, and a newspaper”

No. Juice and coffee are in the same location they have always been. The newspapers are in a pile on top of the trash can.

DINING CAR:

•“Enjoy regionally inspired dishes….all the while enjoying a level of service you’d expect of a fine restaurant”

No regionally inspired dishes that I’m aware of. Same menu on all Amtrak long-distance trains throughout the Amtrak system. Level of service is an Amtrak dining car.

ONBOARD ENTERTAINMENT:

•“If higher tech entertainment is more your speed, all passengers are welcome to check out the arcade room, a fun, relaxed setting with video, trivia, and prize games---plenty of fun for kids of all ages”

The Arcade room in the lower level of one of the Coach cars has 4 video game machines, and one token dispenser. There are no trivia or prize games.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The devil is in the details. Amtrak has a hard time with basics, let alone extra amenities. Probably the problem goes back to a lack of training and/or effective supervision. Hopefully time will cure some of this.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty--

The organization that you weren't sure about was most likely Santa Barbara Carfree. They have a great website: www.santabarbaracarfree.org . It has lots of good leads on information for seeing the city using public transport.

The local media report that Mayor Marty Blum (a former teacher like myself) used "faux" champagne in a bottle wrapped in net so no glass would escape.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
juanee
Member # 4461

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for juanee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all, just had to chime in and suggest firing one of those many managers that were on board. Perhaps with the money we save on his/her salary we can pay for the missing advertised ameneties, or at least have someone to wash the dishes.

Enjoy reading this forum,
juanee

Posts: 11 | From: El Paso, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Hey Jarrod that was me! Where were you? You should have said hi. As Austin Powers says, "I don't bite........hard". LOL!

aw, dang it. I should have. I was hanging out in the Parlour Car most of the way back from PRB-EMY, except during dinner! Next time I'll say hi [Smile] lol
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

ONBOARD ENTERTAINMENT:

•“If higher tech entertainment is more your speed, all passengers are welcome to check out the arcade room, a fun, relaxed setting with video, trivia, and prize games---plenty of fun for kids of all ages”

The Arcade room in the lower level of one of the Coach cars has 4 video game machines, and one token dispenser. There are no trivia or prize games. [/QB]

Am I the only one that found the Arcade Car incredibly stupid and a little bizarre?
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think so, but my kids would not. Whole different mind set with that generation.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a chance to post due to work as well as things to do around the house, but I was onboard the inaugural relaunched #14 from LAX-SBA along with smitty195.

The more I think about it, the more I think the relaunch was really half-baked. Running out of any item on the menu is inexcusable. The crew did not seem to know all the features available on the new train-they should have known them backwards and forwards. Having someone in the Parlour Car that was working their first day in the car was also inexcusable. I would have liked to see someone like Richard or Nanette (the old Parlour Car attendants) on the train, especially for the inaugural run. They would have had the place humming!

I was interviewed by a newspaper reporter (I didn't seem to make it in the article) but she mentioned that Amtrak spent a considerable amount of time and money to "put new air conditioning in the [Parlour] cars". Having the AC break down so early in the game is also inexcusable. I've been in dome cars with no AC, and it gets unbearable quickly!

However, I did like the champagne and fruit upon departure. They were a nice touch, and one that Amtrak should roll out across the system.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page