RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards Trip To California

Author Topic: Guest Rewards Trip To California
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Amtrak Gang,
Just returned from a wonderful trip on LSL-SWC-Surfliner-Coast Starlight-Cascades-Empire Builder-Capitol Limited and lots of mass transits lines. A trip report will follow as soon as I get my notes together.
Question is: Next summer planning to do a two zone sleeper to California via Capitol and Texas Eagle. The Guest Rewards setup would not give me a trip to LAX unless I took the SWC or CZ route. Have played with their system previously and so have the following plot brewing. Will book the two zone from Toledo to Pomona, CA so it will send me on the Texas Eagle route and then buy two coach tickets into LAX.
But then noticed that Pomona and Ontario are stations that only provide debarkations and that tickets from those two depots are not available into LAX on Amtrak?? That would mean booking only to Palm Springs and then getting a coach ride into LAX. Am I correct about this?
We were forced into a similar game playing on our upcoming fall trip from NOL to CLE and ended up with a short coach ride from Erie, PA to CLE so that we could ride the LSL out of NYP instead of the Capitol home. Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks Railroad Bill

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill -- I believe you could catch a Metrolink train from Pomona or Ontario into L.A., but I don't believe Metrolink goes to Palm Springs.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, regarding the trip to Ca., what I would do is book a ticket to Pomona and then after you board let attendant know your plans changed an you want to go to LA instead. More than likely they will tell you not to worry about it and carry you to LA instead, no problem.

When you board the LSL check with Cond. on platform if you have time or when your tickets are lifted, tell them you have sleeper out of CLE. If not occupied they will probably either move you right away or at least before arrival in CLE.

These are my suggestions based on my years of OBS experience.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page