RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The San Joaquins trip

Author Topic: The San Joaquins trip
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wife and I completed our journey from BFD to EMY and back. Thanks to Mr Amtraxmaniac's for his advice on parking at the BFD station lot. We were concerned about the temptation that our beat up rusted out '88 civic might present to the local thugs so we drove the Ridgeline instead.
The trip down was smooth, comfortable, on time and full. The return trip started out 2 hours late due to mechanical problems. We were boarded on to replacement equipment whose air conditioning and toilet facilities began to malfunction soon after the journey began. This train was full as well. The thought of crossing California's central valley without air conditioning or working toilets will keep me in nightmares for a long time. The wife said she may never travel by train again, I'm sure gonna miss her.
While waiting for the replacement equipment to show up I had a chance to see both the CZ and the Starlight which had a parlour car, the Napa Valley I believe.
I will post a link to the photos I took but be warned the windows were dirty and the photographer was quite the novice with his K100D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozbuc/sets/72157605657893087/

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some interesting pictures. I especially enjoyed your views of the Transamerica Tower. My father worked for Pereira & Luckman and I believe that was a design that knocked around the office for awhile before someone had the bright idea of adding the "wings" for the elevator shafts freeing up usable space on the higher floors. The way my father told the story it was originally supposed to be built in Los Angeles. He also had great tales about the Theme Building at LAX but they may well be apocryphal. To keep this "on track" he also worked on the current Madison Square Garden but was NOT responsible for the demolition of Penn Station!

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pictures, Cubzo!!! Thanks for sharing them!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice picture album. I've actually been in the Cressey store, and I'm pleased you didn't ignore the Denair/Turlock Amtrak "station" in your photos!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page