RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Royal Gorge etc

Author Topic: Royal Gorge etc
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I prepare for this summer's US trip nostalgia takes hold. I have always been a railway enthusiast and as a kid I was given a board book called simply 'Trains'. In it was a picture of a steam-hauled passenger train train going through the Royal Gorge. A bit later I had the 'Trains Annual', 1952 published by Ian Allan. It contained an illustrated article Riding the Footplate in the USA, again with a Royal Gorge picture, this ime of the Hanging Bridge. Also off 1950s streamliners, dome coaches and street running.These caught my imagination and for years I dreamed of travelling by train in the US, spending two whole days on the train. Travelling by sleper from Edniburgh to King's Cross was a very truncated affair in comparison, but still exciting. The Pullman Queen of Scots between Edinburgh and Leeds provided a hint of daytime luxury, but it was a very brief journey. My wife and I first came to the US in 2001 and spent a month in Colorado with a hire car. I quickly found my interest in US railways rekindled. There was vidence of railroad activity as we drove from Denver to Colorado Springs. We had a trip booked from canon City but it was only during the trip that I realised where we actually were and my stomach churned as we crossed the Hanging Bridge. It was also somewhat sad to realise the fate of this once major route. In Salida I became aware of its past importance as a railway town, but there was little left to see. The lvel-crossing still exisred, with tracks in Buena Vista and I was told the UP keps the route in reserve, in case of problems elsewhere. The curator in the museum there was obviously a railway enthusiast and tried to explain the complexities of the three companies which had served the town. Driving south from I70 up to Leadville the traces of recent railroad activity were very obvious, little did I know that this was the infamous Tennessee Pass route which had been mentioned in the 1952 annual. The freight activity around Winter Park and those echoing deep throated whistles excitedme, as the did the sight of the fabled US freight trains with several locomotives at various sections of the train. The La Quinta in Denver is actually in a bend of the railway and I was fascinated to see the freights winding past. Also I became aware of a double-deck train between 8 or 9 a.m. I presumed it was kind of commuter service. Only when I discovered the sleeping beauty of Union Station did I realise that passenger transport still existed in the US and I loaded myself with the various Amtrak leaflets on display, vowing that if it was not too late I was going to realise my childhood dream. By chance I happened to turn at Union Station when the UP preserved Challenger was haulinh a special. To see something that size made one aware of the power required to move trains through the Rockies. They and the Big Boys must have been an awsome sight and sound operating in normal service. Since then we have made four overnight Amtrak trips and enjoyed every minute of them. I have also tried to inform myself as much as possible about US railroad history. What I still find surprising is that the Denver/Pueblo/Salida/Tennessee Pass route could have sustained a fair amount of quality passanger traffic. I can understand its importance before the Moffat Tunnel as a link route for traffic between east and west. How important was the route in passenger terms? Was there much traffic between say Denver/Pueblo and Salt Lake City? Is there much literature devoted to passenger traffic in this area. I have copies of 'Rio Grande Railroad' MBI and 'The American Streamliner-Post War Years' heimburger House. I would appreciate any information.
Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll leave it to others to address some of the historic traffic levels as there are others who know better than I.

Perhaps if you would share what area of the US you are coming to next we could make some suggestions as to what you might be interested in seeing this time.......especially if it's one of the real hotspots like Colorado.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passenger traffic was never very robust via the Royal Gorge. Even before the through route was completed via the Moffat tunnel, there were only 2 trains to Salt Lake via Pueblo and the Royal Gorge: the Scenic Ltd and the Westerner. There was also a local to Grand Junction.

In the mid-50's there was only one train on this route, the Royal Gorge . It had a diner-lounge, dome coach, and a heavyweight pullman. The main line via the Moffat tunnel had the bulk of the passenger traffic: the California Zephyr, the overnight Prospector and the Mountaineer to Grand Junction.

I was able to ride the Royal Gorge in the mid-60's and it was a delight. the Rio Grande had acquired some wonderful dome-observation cars from the C&O and there was no better place to enjoy that scenic trip.

On your next U.S. trip, for a good lesson in the railroads of Colorado, I highly recommend a stop at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, CO - not far from Denver. They have an extensive library plus quite a bit of rolling stock from Colorado railroads.

Be sure and get an overview of the extensive narrow gauge railroad network built for all the mining activity in the state. There are several outstanding segments still in operation today for the tourist industry that Notelvis alludes to. Don't miss them if you're in the state.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a PS -

My next trip to Colorado will be next month - 3 days of riding, chasing, and photographing trains at the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks, Palmland. Presumably there were stops made in towns like Pueblo, Florence, Canon City, Buena Vista? We touched on Florence in 2001 and I presume most of its extractions industries had just closed down? Its images on today's web site certainly make it appear more prosperous.
On that same trip we rode the Georgetown Loop which was impressive, with the mine tour and an excellent guide. I also managed a couple of hours at the Golden museum. I could have done with longer but was impressed, particularly with the narrow gauge equipment. I have commented on this site before on the number of superannuated pieces of railway equipment towns and stations put on display. This is presumably a recognition of the vital role the railways played in the development of the country.
I have also enjoyed the California museum in Sacramento, twice, Jamestown and the Burlington Zephyr display in Chicago.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of spamming the forum, Mr. MGT, if you have an interest in Streamliner-era passenger trains in the U.S. I would encourage you to take a bit of a look at my web site (see link in sig). Suggestions for improvement or new additions are always welcomed.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
I do take a look at your site from time to time and am very impressed by it. Again it fills me with nostalgia. I wish I had had the chance to experience these trains in their prime. Logically that could only have been from the mid 1950s for me, and by some accounts the decline had already taken hold by then. What was service like on the Streamliners that operated post-Amtrak, such as the Rio Grande Zephyr and Southern Crescent?
I am hoping to experience The Canadian with its dome car and observation lounge, in 2010.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page