RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CALTRAIN to introduse high speed trains?

Author Topic: CALTRAIN to introduse high speed trains?
hyperrailnut
Member # 1559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperrailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
i saw this information in a website, the link is: http://trainweb.org/railworld/MowII/

can anyone tell when the high speed trains would be put in action? what the trains look like, rolling stock etc..?
hyperrailnut

Posts: 8 | From: india | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Caltrain is simply adding a third track between San Jose and SF for an express train, not high-speed. Caltrain will be shut down on weekends to allow for construction.

A recent bill was introduced in the legislature that will eventually allow for high-speed service on the SF peninsula, as part of the SF to LA high speed corridor.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are talking about the new "Baby Bullet" service that is SUPPOSED to begin in 2003 on Caltrain. The Baby Bullet trains will have a top speed of 79 MPH. The OFFICIAL Caltrain rundown on the Baby Bullet trains is at this website:
http://www.caltrain.com/caltrain/whatsnew/CTX_fact_sheet.html

According to that Caltrain website there will be 3 or 4 high speed sidings added to the Caltrain line. This will NOT be a complete 3rd main track for the Caltrain system. At this point it looks like Caltrain will
only install 3 or 4 high speed sidings at SELECTED locations.

Here is a rider's perspective on the Baby Bullet service. http://www.bayrailalliance.org/caltrain/babybullet/

I hope this little posting of mine helps to give you a bit more info on this project!
--Daniel

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hyperrailnut
Member # 1559

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hyperrailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mr.Daniel,
thanx, i enjoyed the info, BIIIGG locos and BIIIIGGG cars, looks comfy too.

The loco is really good, is it genesis?

hyperrailnut

Posts: 8 | From: india | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
79....figures. That's like calling the Amtrak Cascades (also 79 mph max) "high speed rail". You know, I'll bet we could get what the FRA considers "high speed" (90 or greater) without spending a dime, just by getting rid of that stupid 79 mph law. I'm sure that there's track out there right now that could easily support 90 or 100 mph with no modification.

Also, I find it kind of sad that Amtrak creates a bunch of hype for raising speeds on the Chicago - Detroit route from 79 to 90 mph after installing an expensive new signal system, while it quietly downgrades hundreds of miles from 90 to 79 mph. (City of New Orleans, Southwest Chief, etc...)

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Continuing my rant, why can't they just make the limit 80 mph?! What's with this 79 nonsense? It reminds me of a parking lot I drove through once...all throughout the parking lot there are speed limit signs posted at "19". I guess 20 mph would be just a little too fast, but 19mph is just right.
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CalTrain line has many grade crossings; not sure if that influences the 79mph limit.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hyperrailnut:
The loco is really good, is it genesis?

(click to enlarge)
No! Not a Genesis - it's a GM F59PHI.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 05-22-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll have to go to the FRA to ask them how they determined that 79 mph be the speed limit for CTC-only track; personally, I have no clue. Cab signals usually raise the permitted speed limit to 90 mph. Grade crossings are not a factor, unless there are high accident rates at them.

Well... www.cahighspeedrail.org is still the place for whatever's news on high-speed rail projects in California. According to the site, they're still planning on having 200-mph train service operate between San Francisco/Sacramento and Los Angeles/San Diego (via Bakersfield!)...So far, they've ruled out Maglev as having too high a capital cost and probably not enough return for the investment, but they haven't figured out just what type of train to run on the lines, although it is going to be electric. (Personally, I'd recommend the Talgo 350, i.e. if there's an FRA-compatible version out there; this is the train that they're planning to run in Spain, between Madrid and Barcelona, at a whopping 220 mph top speed. On top of that, any Talgo is completely compatible with low-level platforms, so no unnecessary building of new terminals or high platforms at old terminals should occur.)

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Amtrak should ask for a waiver on stretches of track that can safely accomodate speeds greater than 79 mph. They shouldn't have to reduce their speed from 90 to 79 just because the freight railroads upgrade to CTC and remove the old block signals. I mean, heck, it's supposed to be a signal upgrade, right?! I'm sure that Amtrak operating at 90 or even 100 on existing straight, open stretches of track would still be safer than driving a car on the interstate, yet no one is calling for overly conservative speed limits on our nation's highway system!

BTW, any news on the Chicago - St. Louis upgrades? Isn't that line supposed to see 110 mph operation in the near future? Also, when is Chicago - Detroit going to see 110 mph speeds?

[This message has been edited by vthokie (edited 05-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by vthokie (edited 05-22-2002).]

Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vthokie, I agree with everything you're saying. Unfortunately, Amtrak has to follow the FRA regulations, no matter how lame they may be.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 05-22-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see the FHA over-regulate the highways in the same manner that the railroads are over-regulated by the FRA...

You think that they (the FHA) have got enough dough in that Trust Fund of theirs to build truck-only expressways, just like there are some car-only parkways in existence? Imagine that...:P

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page