RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited Trip Report

Author Topic: Sunset Limited Trip Report
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I rode the Sunset Limited from Maricopa (The closest "Phoenix" stop) to New Orleans. A couple of weeks later, we returned from New Orleans to Maricopa. We had a roomette both directions.

Both trains remained close to on-time, and the dining car did not seem to run out of any food.

Eastbound, one of the diner wait staff was excellent. The other waiter was a nice guy, tried to do a good job, but he was hard of hearing, and could not speak English well. It was difficult to communicate with him. Our car attendant did a good job, but was a bit unfriendly.

Westbound, the same diner waiter who could not hear well was with us again. Unfortunately, the other guy was not. The situation with our car attendant was rather strange. He was a real nice guy and very friendly. I enjoyed speaking with him quite a bit. But, he was practically non-existent when it came for work to be done. We raised and lowered our beds ourselves. I helped the lady across from us take care of her room. Not that I minded helping her, but the attendant should have. She says that she had been looking for him, and callin for him, but he never came. At San Antonio during the night, our attendant was asleep, and we loaded and unloaded ourselves (I got out and walked around in San Antonio while my wife slept) The worst situation with our attendant happened in Tucson. Apparently, he was asleep again. There were two handicapped people dimembarking from the handicap bedroom in our car. They could not get out. I had to help them by opening the door, putting the steps down, and assisting them out of the car. Again, I did not mind doing this, but the attendant should have been there. When we left, I gave him a very small tip. I felt bad about it, because he was so friendly, but he really did not deserve any tip at all.

Overall, we had a wonderful trip. I believe Amtrak service has improved quite a bit compared to previous trips. But, we must still fend for ourselves. We cannot depend on Amtrak staff helping us.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the trip report, and the honest comments. Unfortunately, this has become the rule more than the exception lately with Amtrak. This is also the main reason why I have become so dismayed with them in recent months. I wish I could say your experience was unusual and rare, but it's not. It's also a shame that with such poor service, it was still an improvement compared with prior trips you've taken. That pretty much says it all.

By the way, I have also had to open doors and put the step down and help people out of my sleeping car before because the attendant simply wasn't there. Too bad they didn't tip me. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have very few expectations from a sleeping car attendant. If he/she keeps the restroom clean, is visible enough to be found if needed, and if he/she puts my bed down and restores my room the following morning then I'm happy.

I'm fully capable of doing the bed myself and have done so many times. I have no problem leaving the train and not tipping if I've been the one setting up my bed on the trip.

I have found dining car service friendlier over the last three years or so......not neccessarily more efficient but clearly more pleasant.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin,

Do please take the time to call Amtraks 1-800 number and ask for Customer Service and report exactly your experience with the "disappearing" train attendant on the westbound trip.

Unless we the customer speak up, Amtrak has no knowledge of poorly performing employees and can hardly be expected to correct problems.

Also, while we are on the subject, when an attendant gives excellent service be sure to note his name and give a call to the same Customer Service number. Let them know that they have a "star".

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this was the same attendant who was missing in action when it came time to open doors and assist with the luggage when I rode the SW Chief a few years ago. I was booked on #4 departing San Bernardino and there were three sleepers: 30 and 31 up front as usual but 32 (my sleeper) was at the rear. Perhaps the attendant thought I should board at the front and drag my bags through the train to the last car. After loudly banging on the closed door a passenger opened it and I boarded in the nick of time prior to departure. The next day in Gallup NM some very angry passengers let themselves out of the car, leaving the door open as they left. On my scanner I heard the conductor saying "why is that door open on the rear sleeper, and where is the car attendant?" He came to close the door, and then found the dozy attendant in his roomette. The conductor asked "where were you when those people got off the train"? I did not hear the response, but this sort of thing certainly does happen from time to time on Amtrak.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would document this IN WRITING to the proper Amtrak national customer service dept., and to the Train Manager in Los Angeles, where the guy is based. Copies to both places, plus enclose a photocopy of your ticket stub, itinerary sheet or any document that shows your Reservation Number. In fact, the LA Trn. Manager can probably handle this more efficiently and faster than the National desk. Just tell the story as you did here and address it to:

Train Manager- Sunset Limited
810 N. Alameda St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012

The part about sleeping through San Antonio and Tucson really got to me! Both are MANDATORY stops for TAs no matter what time of arrival. They need to know about this guy; thanks Konstantin. Sorry about the bad service; I used to work this train as a TA and know a little about the protocols on the Sunset...I'm also wondering where the conductors were during all this bad service; they must have known about the disabled passengers bound for TUS?

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the candid train report.

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your responses. I have been planning to write Amtrak about this. Railroad Bob, I especially appreciate your train manager address. I will write to them.

I certainly plan to give the name of our excellent dining car waiter, as well as our train attendant.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Konstantin, these kind of letters always seem to have more "validity" in the eyes of management, if they seem to present a balanced view of the trip-- including both positive and negative experiences. Crew names are helpful if you have them. Good letters will also go into the employee's cumulative file, as well as the "others."
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page