RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Where is This? - The Sunset Limited

Author Topic: Where is This? - The Sunset Limited
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I recently rode the Sunset Limited. We crossed two bodies of water that I am unsure of their names and exact locations.

Please let me know what these pictures are showing:

http://www.geocities.com/evrr/sunset.html

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

Name the body of water in southern Louisiana? It is probably easier to name the bodies of land.

The first one looks like it could be the Calcasieu River just before the Lake Charles stop, but that is quite a ways from Beaumont. Everything in the picture fits the setting, assuming that you are looing out the south side, right hand if eastbound of the train. The high level highway bridge is US90 / I-10. The widening out in the body of water that you see south of the bridge is called Lake Charles. You should have stopped at Lake Charles just after crossing this bridge.

The second, based on mapquest, appears to be the Atchafalaya River. You are looking north from the train. The first bridge is US90 and the second, apparently older highway bridge is LA182, and is probably an older bridge for US90.

Let me make you a list of place names and drawbridges that might help:

Going west to east:

1.1 Houston = 362.5 in mileposting from New Orleans
280.2 Beaumont
278.0 Neches River - not another bridge close enough (this bridge owned by KCS)
256.6 Orange (not a stop. Last city in Texas)
250.0+/- Sabine River - not a drawbridge - TX/LA state line - no other bridge close enough
220.9 Calcacieu River drawbridge - see above.
218.8 Lake Charles - a stop.
205.4 Iowa Junction - not a stop - change from UP to BNSF ownership
180.3 Mermentau River drawbridge - not likely. one highway bridge (US90) near on north side
144.5 Lafayette
125.6 New Iberia
105.1 Baldwin - not a stop
104.1 Charenton Canal drawbridge - canal, not large. does not fit
93.0+/- Wax Lake Outlet - not a drawbridge. two parallel road bridges to north, but doesn't really look right for second picture
81.8 Berwick - not a stop
80.5 Atchafalaya River drawbridge - see above. appears to be picture 2.
80.1 Morgan City - not a stop
73.3 Bayou Boeuf drawbridge
55.0 Schriever
32.1 Bayou Des Allemands drawbridge
10.5 West Bridge Junction
Betweeb West Bridge Junction and East Bridge Junction is the Huey P. Long Bridge over the Mississippi River. Distance between WBJ and EBJ is 5.3 miles.
From EBJ to New Orleans station is 5.8 miles.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't got my album with me but I'm sure I took almost an identical picture of the double bridge when I took the SL three years ago! I'll have a look when I get home.

Off topic, but why doesn't it stop at Morgan City? It seemed quite a sizeable place.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, thank you for the information. The Atchafalaya River looks right, and the picture was taken looking north as you suggested.

Maybe my memory is failing me. I would have guessed that the other picture was closer to Beaumont than to Lake Charles, but it seems that the Calcasien River fits here. This picture is facing south. I remember there was a stern wheeler in the water here, south of the highway bridge, on the west side. When I look on Google aerial photos, It does seem to fit.

I rode this train ten years ago, and I did not realize until after I arrived home from this recent trip, that I, like Mr Williams, had taken an identical picture ten years ago.

Thank you for the help.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George is right, that is the I-10 bridge in Lake Chuck. LA-dot has plans to tear it down and replace it with a shorter bridge.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Rita put a hurting on those stern boats. I believe they were moved to Baton Rouge.
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
George is right, that is the I-10 bridge in Lake Chuck. LA-dot has plans to tear it down and replace it with a shorter bridge.

What ! ! ! Why ? ? ?

I could see a parallel bridge because of traffic, but why tear down this beauty?

The railing is very interesting. I was on it in 1981 when the right lane westbound was closed so pulled off just beyond the closed point to look at the railroad bridges. At the time there were two. the KCS bridge just north of the SP bridge was struck by a barge sometime thereafter and torn down. Back to the bridge railing: In the upper part of the rail was a motif of two crossed dueling pistols, approximately full size.

Also, at that time there were three standing railroad stations in Lake Charles. The SP station used by Amtrak, the Missouri Pacific station which was last used in the early 60's and a KCS station, last used I have no idea when.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
I agree, I like the bridge. It's not better than the rainbow bridge...hehe

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page