RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Recent Trip CON & EB

Author Topic: Recent Trip CON & EB
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:
We just recently finished a trip from Central Illinois to Glacier National Park via CON and EB.
The trip was great!
EB (sleepers both ways) was excellent and of course the time at Glacier Lodge and taking tours via the Jammers was super.
However, on the City of New Orleans we were in coach and experienced the "diner lite" or whatever it is called. This is not good. One attendant taking the order, ringing it up, getting your beverages etc. Then you took your own beverages to the table to wait for your food. The line was backed up all the way through the car. One person can not do all of this in a timely way. My opinion, but that procedure needs improved.
Question: Anyone know of a winter trip to a ski lodge that Amtrak travels near? Similar to the Issac Walton in Essex...but nearer to Illinois...perhaps east?
Thanks!
-Rail Fan

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far as I know, there aren't any skiable mountains between Chicago and Glacier Park. My vote is for the Izaak Walton Inn. Been there three times and each time was terrific.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Colorado area near Winter Park, maybe? But that's not east of Illinois. How about Lake Placid in NY? The Adirondack's closest stop is served by some sort of shuttle, I think. I'm in a hurry this AM or I'd research the schedule for the exact name for you.
Also some Vermont areas may have shuttle service to meet the Ethan Allen. Again check that schedule. I'd suggest you board those trains in NYC if coming from NOL since the connections from Chicago are essentially non-existent due to the erratic performance of the LSL.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean downhill/alpine skiing? With Denver being overnight from CHI, there are many ski choices in the west. But skiing the morning I arrived in Denver by train resulted in altitude acclimation issues for me.

Loveland Ski Area is only about 50 mi up the hill from Denver Union Station. It is a major ski area at 10,000 feet, but crowded on weekends.

Winter Park has been mentioned already, also crowded on weekends (destination of the Denver Ski Train using vintage Rio Grande equipment out of DUS). Amtrak passes this ski area just out of the Moffet Tunnel before stopping at Fraser.

Glenwood Springs (with checked baggage for skis) on the Zephyr offers convenient public transportation to all the ski areas around Aspen.

My favorite is Steamboat Springs, but it involves a bit of mountain driving from the train.

On the Builder, Big Mountain is a large alpine area within view of the station in Whitefish.

For cross country skiing, you can't top the Isaak Walton.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page