RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A week long trip to Toronto and Montreal

Author Topic: A week long trip to Toronto and Montreal
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got back a little over a week ago from a week long trip up to Toronto and Montreal, also stopping briefly in Buffalo and Ottawa. Took a very crowded (along the portion of the route that's usually empty) Empire Service Train #285 ALB-SYR. Maple Leaf #63 to BFX (wanted to ride the Buffalo Light Rail). Empire Service #281 the short way to NFL. WALKED across the border and spent the night in a hostel at the Niagara Falls, ON VIA station where I took early morning VIA #90 into Toronto. Spent a couple of days there. Then an overnight Greyhound bus to Ottawa (much more economical). Renaissance VIA Train #634 to Montreal (truly worth the overpriced VIA ticket). Spent the weekend in Montreal and returned on a sold out (2 1/2 cars full of people going the entire route) and extremely scenic Adirondack #68 to Yonkers.

Lots of photos and a detailed TripLog are Here!

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You certainly had an interesting journey. Just one note of correction: the local baseball team is named the Toronto Blue Jays not the White Jays.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SubwayNut
Member # 3948

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SubwayNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for noticing that typo I must have missed

--------------------
Visit my trains and subways website: www.subwaynut.com (It has more then just subways!)

Posts: 38 | From: Manhattan, NY/Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report. That's interesting about you walking across the border. About how far is it from the NFL station to the VIA station on the Canadian side? Are there hotels as well as hostel right in the area near the VIA station?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NFL to NFS is about 2 miles. The VIA station is right before the bridge over the Niagara Gorge; the AMTRAK station is another mile or mile and a half inland on the American side.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page