RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report: LAK/ORL to BAL & return

Author Topic: Trip Report: LAK/ORL to BAL & return
Floridian
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floridian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purchased R/T Coach tickets for the Silver Meteor online on May 12th. Cost with AAA discount was $212.40 and had them FedExed to my home ($15) – they arrived May 13th. Also purchased full coverage trip insurance through the Amtrak website for $19.50 (better safe than sorry).

I checked prices on 6/28/08 – AAA discount price had increased to $313.20 and by 7/14/08 the price had risen to $401.40. I then checked what the fare would be for September and it was back down to $183.60, which was the fare calculated when I first researched Amtrak travel back in mid-April. By July 26th Meteor coach seats and bedrooms (southbound) were showing as “sold out” on my travel dates/destinations on the Amtrak Fare Finder (roomettes were still available to the tune of $1004 R/T – no discount). So my advice to others (if you have fairly firm plans) is – buy your tickets as early as possible. Portions of the Silver Star were also sold out for my dates/destinations.

Local Fox TV News reported on June 25th that Tampa’s Union Station had a 25% increase in ridership on the Silver Star for May over the previous year (2007) – Interviewed passengers cited gas prices for the reason in choosing Amtrak. I also noticed on my RoadRunner home page the first week of July, under the “Hot Searches” section, that "Amtrak" was number 5 for about 3 days. This really amazed me because the top 5 are usually devoted to “pop culture” items of interest to young folks.

NB-98: Lakeland has recently rebuilt their station, which overlooks a lake. It’s neat, clean and very attractive. The first leg (LAK to ORL on July 28th) was by bus and we were supposed to depart at 11:25am. The bus was brand new, however the driver encountered a glitch with the wheel chair lift. We finally got underway at noon. The driver had worked like a dog on getting the lift to work and was drenched in sweat. Just as he started to pull out, a passenger from the rear section came marching up the aisle to complain that the temperature was “too cold” and she was “freezing to death”. The driver complied with her request, turned down the AC and she returned to her seat. He then remarked to no one in particular, “Well, when you get on the train, it’ll be 40 degrees and they WON’T turn it down”. By the time we got to Orlando, it was hotter than Hell and I could have gladly strangled Ms. Complainer. We encountered a huge traffic jam around Auburndale (car wreck), which delayed arrival into ORL until 1:25pm. The station staff lined up passengers according to destination before boarding and seats were assigned by the train crew at the doors to the coaches. 98 was due to leave ORL at 1:57pm, but was late arriving, and we didn’t pull out until 2:20pm. We were back “on time” at JAX, but lost 30 minutes by SAV.

The lady across the aisle from me had mobility problems and had her dinner brought to her seat. She got the game hen. She couldn’t eat the vegetables, because they were very “crisp”, i.e. undercooked. She didn’t like the crispy skin on the hen either and said the rice was very “dry”. The lady in front of her, who had had dinner early, agreed about the veggies. I had made dinner reservations for 7:30pm. Not many in our car made reservations. When I got to the diner car, they had me wait in the jump seat for about 5 minutes, then seated me along with a young woman, who arrived after I did. She said that not many in her car made reservations either. I ordered the steak (medium well) and she ordered the fish. The online menu said the steak came with a baked potato, but they have now changed it to garlic mashed potatoes. The party who made that decision needs to be fired! The fish came with rice and both our meals had the vegetables (green & wax beans plus carrots). The steak was quite tender and tasted good, but the veggies and potatoes were nothing to write home about. They also serve a salad and roll with dinner.

The next morning for breakfast I got scrambled eggs, grits and a biscuit, which came with coffee and orange juice. You only get one cup of coffee, though (which is probably to encourage quicker turnover of tables). I found the eggs a bit dry. I really should say that I’m not a fan of any restaurant food, so others may be better pleased with the fare. I bought a coffee in the lounge car on the way back to take to my seat.

When we arrived in Washington, DC, they switched from diesel to an electric engine. We arrived in BAL at 9:13am on July 29th (about 30 minutes late). Not bad considering all the waits for freights in South and North Carolina during the night. There was one curious thing that occurred in North Carolina – we were passed by a short train (engine and no more than, what looked like, 3 passenger cars) which was traveling southbound at a very high rate of speed around 2am. Does anyone have any idea what that was??

SB-97: 97 was due to leave BAL at 6:16pm on July 31st, but was delayed due to arrival and loading. The train was pretty well filled to the brim and by WAS it was stuffed. At BAL I had to walk the length of the train to get to the coach section and noticed that the baggage car still had a “U.S. Mail” plaque on it. All the cars looked pretty old – in addition to the antique baggage car, there were about 2 roomette cars, 2 bedroom cars, diner, lounge, and 4 coach cars. We changed from electric to diesel at WAS and proceeded south. I only had a scotch for supper because I was full from a late lunch. I was in the next to the last coach car. Shortly after pulling out of WAS-Union, you can see the Capitol Dome if you’re on the right side of the train.

My seatmate had mobility problems (there are a lot of people riding Amtrak with mobility problems) and the attendant brought her a hot dog and coffee from the lounge. She tried to give him a tip but he refused to accept it. The microwave made the bun tough, so she left most of it. She remarked that both the crew and the passengers had been very helpful and kind to her – she had boarded in NY.

When we hit Rocky Mount, NC, the First Responders drove up just as the train pulled into the station. They went into the car ahead of us, then the EMS arrived. They took a passenger away on a gurney. We found out the next morning from one of my seatmate’s passenger-helpers, who was in that car, that a woman was having blood pressure problems, so they took her to the local hospital. They secured her baggage and it continued on the train to Miami. By the time we got to SAV, we were 1.5 hours late. We arrived in ORL at 1:40pm – 45 minutes late. The bus (fairly new) to LAK was delayed due to passengers waiting for checked luggage and we arrived around 3:30pm on August 1st (it was due at 2:45pm) – so all in all not too bad. Just outside of LAK, we saw John McCain’s motorcade heading east on its way to Orlando. There were 4 state troopers on motorcycles blocking I-4 in front, many cargo vans in the side lanes, a dark brown motorcoach with blacked out windows in the center , more cargo vans and the rear was brought up by 2 state trooper patrol cars. It was quite a show.

Smoke Breaks: Between ORL to BAL there are 5 smoke breaks (JAX, SAV, Florence/Myrtle Bch, Richmond and WAS – same on return). Usually after 10pm, you need to go to a car near the end to detrain, because they only open 1 or 2 exit doors. If you ask your attendant, they will try to remind you when a smoke break is coming up. You need to stay close to the car you detrained from and stay within the yellow lines on the platform. When they say “All aboard”, they mean it! At WAS it takes about 20 minutes to change engines, so that one is a long break. On SB-97, the smell of something “burning” in the last car quickly resulted in the conductor being summoned and the smell went away shortly thereafter. I don’t know if someone actually lit up or set something on fire trying to put out a smoke – it was still a long way to the next stop so no one was “detrained”.
Coach seats: I found the seats large and comfortable (I weigh in at 200+), especially if you use the foot rest and leg rest. The disadvantage to coach, that I see, is having to use the communal potties. Otherwise, for a 24 or less hour trip, coach is a bargain. Anything more than 24 hours would require at least a roomette.
Crews: Both NB and SB the crews were great. They passed out pillows, checked on people who needed help, were very pleasant and friendly and helped with baggage. On SB-97 the attendant in our car vacuumed the aisle after we got into Virginia.
Cell phones: There was very little cell phone use on 98 & 97 and those that did use them didn’t disturb me.
Unruly children: Unfortunately, there were unruly kids both NB and SB and most of the potty breakdowns were due to kids. However, the group on SB-97 in my car was the worst. The Conductor got on the loud speaker and made a lengthy announcement on rules & regs just outside WAS for this particular family (shoes must be on feet at all times, headphones must be worn if playing electronic devices, etc.). However, farther down the road I had to verbally chastise the (aprx) 9 year old boy for blocking the aisle and getting in everyone’s way. I was very glad to get to ORL and thought they were continuing to Miami, but to my dismay they were the last ones to board the bus. They sat in the back. We had just gotten on I-4 and the driver announced on his loudspeaker that the person pushing the button in the wheel chair bay needed to quit because pushing the button alerted him to stop the bus and if he saw the alert again he would STOP the bus. About 10 minutes after that, two young men came up the aisle and sat in the empty seats in the row in front of me. One remarked that spanking should be reinstituted and I replied, “You should have been on the same train car they were in” to which he replied, “I WAS”.
AC temperature: The temperatures in all the cars are pretty cold. It is advisable to dress in layers and carry a light jacket/sweater in summer. Many passengers carry blankets with them.
Potties: The regular toilet is very small. Most people use the handicapped one. The crews try to keep them up, but it is a fruitless, endless battle. Be sure and bring anti-bacterial towelettes or hand sanitizer, because even though you wash your hands they will be filthy again by the time you get back to your seat or to the dining/lounge cars.
Tunnels: When diesel engines go thru tunnels, the fumes will back up into the cars – so be forewarned. There’s a tunnel just south of Washington, DC and the fumes last around 5 minutes.
Pillows: The Amtrak provided pillows are small (aprx 11” x 14”). Many passengers bring their own, larger pillows.
Rough tracks: In portions of North & South Carolina and Georgia/North Florida there are lengthy areas of rough track, where the train seems like it is on the verge of tipping over. I don’t know who is supposed to maintain these tracks, but they need to get off their duff and get busy. It’s very third world-ish………..
Stations: Most of the stations I saw have been restored or rebuilt. But 3 of the stations on the ORL-BAL route need some immediate attention. Baltimore-Penn is classic train station architecture on the exterior, but the interior is getting really shabby. A good top-to-bottom cleaning would be a definite improvement and the ladies restroom is woefully inadequate for the amount of people going through that station, plus it’s dirty. Jessup, GA looks like a complete disaster, but there’s a sign posted that states they are supposedly refurbishing it. Orlando is shameful – I was shocked. It’s filthy, old, and an eyesore. It seems to me that Disney could part with a few bucks and give them a grant to rebuild/refurbish the place, since I’m sure some of their customers arrive at that station. Disney manages to stick its nose in much of what goes on in Orlando/Orange County, so getting the Amtrak Station refurbished should be a breeze.
Other/Misc: My seatmate on SB-97 told me that Amtrak routes from New York to Florida were sold out through the end of the year. She was on a one-way ticket, since she didn’t have a definite return date. In talking with a couple of other passengers the subject of service from Florida to the west came up – they were really wishing the Sunset would come back – especially JAX to NOL. They were interested in stopping off for a little Gulf coast gambling, continuing on to NOL, then maybe further west and also in just having a way to go west from Florida without having to drive a car. I think that a lot of folks would like to get to NOL from Florida to attend jazz festivals, Mardi Gras and any of the other events hosted in New Orleans year round.

I can honestly say that there was never a dull moment on this trip - my book went unread and my few visits to the lounge were to obtain beverages - otherwise I stayed in my seat. Overall, I had a very good time in coach and enjoyed myself immensely – kids and potties notwithstanding – and would do it again if I need to go to Baltimore. But, anything longer/farther north would be in a roomette.

Posts: 20 | From: Zephyrhills, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the trip report, Floridian!!! Glad you basically enjoyed the trip -- I would concur with you that, next time you take a train trip, go in a sleeper if you can afford it!! You will be much more comfortable!

No need to take the bus from Lakeland to Orlando -- the Silver Star stops in Lakeland, and also goes through Orlando and then continues on to NYC and Baltimore, although on a more inland route through the Carolinas.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page