RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » **North America Rail Pass being Discontinued**

Author Topic: **North America Rail Pass being Discontinued**
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 13 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great way to encourage continued rail travel, right? (Of course, the high price of the tickets, both peak and off-peak, is no help and most likely led to this.)

From Amtrak website:
quote:
The North American Rail Pass is being discontinued. The last day to purchase a North American Rail Pass is September 30, 2008. If you purchase a pass up to and including this date, travel must begin by September 30, 2009. Once travel has started, your North American Rail Pass is valid for 30 days.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to last month's issue of Trains Magazine, I think there will be a USA pass. I might have my facts wrong on this (as I've never purchased one), but I think the North American Rail Pass is being discontinued----which means you can not travel through the US and Canada on this pass. If you purchased one of these passes, you HAD TO travel in Canada as a requirement of the pass. But with the new pass, you don't have to travel in Canada.

Can someone clarify this better in case I've got it wrong? Mudrock---I'm sure you know about this one.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/5483.html . According to Chris G it will be replaced by the USA Rail Pass, though obviously not including Canada, but will be available to US citizens which it was not previously.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up until last year I purchased a North America Rail Pass annually for trips from Toronto to Vancouver to California and back to Canada through Chicago and Buffalo. I don't think I saved a great deal of money, but it was still a useful product since there was no tax in Canada on either the pass or sleeping car space. If you didn't have the pass, a Canadian was required to pay GST and in some provinces local tax on the tickets. Although the website may indicate pass holders must travel in both Canada and the U.S., in fact that is not true. If you want to travel in one country and not go to the other you can certainly do that. I know the last time I wrote about the NARP, someone on this board got all hot and bothered regarding the issue of whether it was permitted to only travel in one country. There is no doubt you can, so I wouldn’t be concerned with those who may say otherwise.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page