RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hurricane Ike Check-In

Author Topic: Hurricane Ike Check-In
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Eric checking in from Houston. I rode out the storm downtown at the George R. Brown (where I work). We didn't lose power, which puts me ahead of about 5 million others. Basically, the only places which didn't lose power were downtown, the Medical Center, and the Intercontinental Airport.

I did lose power at the house (and have already thrown out everything in the refrigerator) and one dog was badly traumatized, although as best I can tell he was not injured—he just sits in the driveway and shivers; won't touch his food. I have a bunch of small tree limbs down that will need to be cleared up but no major damage to the house, not even a broken window. Family members in Pearland and north Houston also seem to be OK as best I can tell, so we're doing better than a lot of others.

Will be fairly busy here for a while; the convention center is turning into a zoo (Hotel Katrina, Part III). Will try to keep in touch when I can. Otherwise, see you later.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you and yours are ok. Stay safe, well and keeep in touch
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update, Eric. We finally were able to get through to one friend in Houston on a landline. Cell service remains out. We have also been keeping up with the situation at IAH via employee bulletins from Continental. There was considerable damage including power outages, broken windows, flooding, damage to jetways, inter-terminal trains damaged and inop. The runways and taxiways are OK and the hope is that limited service will begin tomorrow (Monday). One access road is closed but JFK Blvd. is open. We're hoping that Norm's truck is not bobbing around in what was the employee parking lot and may now be "Bayou Continental".

Frank in sunny SBA -- the temporary terminus of the Coast Starlight.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you're OK Eric----I trust things will be back together soon. Im going through Houton twice next month.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea I've heard some horror storied thus far. They still aren't letting the evacuating people in yet.

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay safe, Eric! hope things get back to normal soon.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lost power for exactly a week, almost to the hour. Ike was mean. For 13 straight hours. But I made it....
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did finally get power back on...last Thursday. Thirteen nights in the dark. At least I cleaned out the refrigerator early and didn't have to deal with spoiled/rotten/bloody food.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page