RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Best train trip ever!

Author Topic: Best train trip ever!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completed my northbound journey on the Starlight today. I must say that it was nearly perfect. The worst thing that happened was that we were 2:20 late into Salem. No big deal.

Food was top notch at all three meals. The only downer was that the cheesecake was not as good as they served last year, but still passable. I had salmon for dinner and I would put it up against that served in the Monterey Peninsula's finest restaurants. It was that good (thought perhaps not as elegantly presented).

Service at all levels was terrific from the moment I boarded. I made a lot of friends in the diner and Parlor Car. I had a lot of fun got some nice photos along the way. I'll post more detail later.

I return home Tuesday/Wednesday.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulfnshore
Member # 1201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulfnshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just like my Chicago trip last year on the Lake Shore LTD.
Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad your trip on the Starlight was the great experience it should be. I hope your return trip goes as well.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striperjack
Member # 1636

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for striperjack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am happy to read the good reviews of LDT;s.My wife&I are going to
flagstaff from Bos. in Sept. We must use the LSL to get to the Sw Chief;I wonder if anyone besides me has run into surly &rude dining car crews on the Lake Shore? We take Westcoast trips twice a year and the attitude of the Lake Shore crews leaves a lot to be desired. Even that won;t stop us from going Amtrak!! We love train travel!!

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad to hear you had a good experience. It would be nice if the rest of Amtrak would follow suit.

StriperJack: I have had two horrible experiences on the Lake Shore Limited, the worst two train rides I have ever had. Almost the entire crew were terrible.

I took the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle and back, about ten years ago. Other than running late (which was not a problem because I was prepared for it), and the diner running out of food, the trip was excellent.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pleased to report that my southbound trip (Tuesday/Wednesday) was every bit as good as my trip north.

I only had two meals on this trip, dinner and breakfast. I had the chicken and it was cooked to perfection. Mouth watering. For dessert I had the apple pie with whipped cream. It was served warm, and it had a crumbly cinnamony crust surrounding piles of sweet slices of apple.

My car attendant, Al, was cheerful, lively, and most competent. The rest of the crew was also in top form.

The three sleepers were full, but the four coaches were lightly filled compared to my northbound trip. I was told that Tuesday tends to be a light travel day. That explains why the price of the sleeper was about 25% lower than normal on that day.

And, hold onto your seats, the train arrived at my destination (Salinas) five minutes EARLY!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,

Nice to hear you had such a good trip. Thanks for the report.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page