RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak social concious discount?

Author Topic: Amtrak social concious discount?
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a story on NPR this morning, about how protests in south Asia just aren't what they used to be. Rather than really put themselves to the task in the manner of Gandhi, protestors often now take a relatively comfortable approach - in Pakistan, there is a "train march" scheduled to protest something or another. Rather than actually marching, the protesters will just ride the train! So that got me thinking, "here's a great way for Amtrak to solidify it's ridership if gas prices don't do it!" Amtrak can just schedule protest day discounts! Can you imagine the million man march via Amtrak? Or perhaps college students can combine their student discount with this new program, and with such low prices and great comfort, we can see a renewal of that '60s spirit all over again. Heck, Emeryville is pretty darn close to Bezerkly.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But wouldn't that put Amtrak in the untenable position of political advocacy if it offered discounts for protests?

Of course it could offer discounts for any kind of protest, no questions asked, but this could open another can of worms -- what if a bunch of senior citizens decided it would be a great idea to take a trip to California and conspired to declare it a political protest (of the Terminator and Sen. Boxer, or something) just to get a lower fare?

Or, RR4me, are you just being ironic?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was completely tongue in cheek, and the emoticon was the closest I could come to hinting at that. I just got a kick out of a protest "march" that really meant the participants took the train rather than actually marching.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RR4me:
This was completely tongue in cheek, and the emoticon was the closest I could come to hinting at that.

And then there was "Bezerkly" in your last line, but Berkley graduates would never notice because learning to spell might interfere with their other activities.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drat you, RR4me, you had me fooled . . . for a bit.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I resemble...oh, I mean resent the Bezerkly remark. I had a partial scholarship to go there, but chose (NUTTY ME) to remain at home and go to school. I would have fit right in though with my CRAZY LEFT WING ANTICS...as some in here have accused me of. LOL.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I did time at Berserkeley for a while, too. Sure, there was naked coed hot tubbing with lots of wacky tobacky, but there was also a good deal of serious learning. I don't regret my time there, except when I asked a professor if "campanile" had something to do with the old Brooklyn Dodger catcher. His rebuke still stings.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page