RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quik-Trak Kiosks

Author Topic: Quik-Trak Kiosks
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever the cause of the "triplication" of my previous posting my suspicion of electronic technology is again reinforced. Which is the main reason I have never booked Amtrak tickets on-line from the UK, instead patronising Trailfinders, a travel firm which I have found to be realiable.
It has happened as we have travelled through the US that in some shops, restaurants and banks one of our Debit or Credit cards has been rejected for no obvious reason, which is why we always carry several. There have even been problems when I have bought rail tickets on-line for travel in the UK. Even our UK banks cannot supply a satisfactory answer. It would be with great trepidation that I would stand before the Quik-Trak kiosk in say Penn Station, plastic card in hand, several days before our first departure, wondering whether said kiosk would spout forth requested tickets.
I am sure most of you must have had positive experiences of pre-paying for tickets in this way but what redress is there if the plastic card(s) is/are rejected? Can you take the reference number to one of the usual Amtrak agents in staffed stations?
I would appreciate comments because I would find it very convenient to book tickets using the Amtrak web-site, which is very user-friendly and allows me to compare prices for different days from the comfort of my own home.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always booked through the Amtrak web site, and have never had a problem---not a single time.

When you book online (and pay online using a credit card), Amtrak will give you a confirmation page that includes a confirmation number. They will also send you an email with confirmation of the train, date, accommodations, confirmation number, etc.

All you have to do when you get to a Quic-Track machine in the USA is follow the instructions on the screen. You can either enter in your confirmation number, OR, you can slide your credit card through the slot and it will find your reservation for you. Then it prints out your tickets. The whole process takes about a minute.

Once you have your tickets, TREAT THEM AS CASH AND DO NOT LOSE THEM. If you do, you are out of luck.

Also, make sure you check Amtrak's web site to verify that the station you have in mind actually has a Quik-Trak machine. Not all stations have them.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I echo smitty's comments - I book via the Amtrak website, and pick up the tickets at the station. The QuickTrak has never been a problem, although Modesto's machine was gone for about 6 months a year ago. I think the confirmation page you print now has a bar code as well, and you can scan that as opposed to using your card to get the tickets. And yes, you can go to the agent if needed.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can pick up prepaid tickets at any Amtrak ticket window, assuming the station has a window. You don't have to use the Quik-Trak machine.

I did learn from experience, however, that the ticket window agents don't especially like to handle cancellations and refunds for tickets with sleeper accommodations, because it involves some calculations. They prefer you cancel by telephone, and then turn in the paper ticket at the window.

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the idea of just getting the tickets from an agent at the window. Just present the confirmation # and your ID at the ticket window. Any agent can print the tickets for any ticket, even if the agent you are using is not at your departure city.

If there is no agent & the Quik-Trak machine is broken, just get on the train with your email confirmation & let the conductor deal with it. I have seen this happen to others at the Milwaukee Airport Station when the Quik-Trak machine was broken.

I never get the paper tickets until a week or so before departure because of the possibility of an unexpected cancellation. Also I don't want to take a chance on misplacing the paper tickets.

And even if you misplace the confirmation number, with proper ID & info about your departure, the agent can look up the ticket reference & print the tickets.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just booked a trip from Oceanside to Los Angeles on line and the confirmation on the website had a bar code on it with instructions to hold the bar code under the reader on the Quik Trak machine. No credit card or res number needed.
One caution: The bar code is only on the "print this page" on the website when you book the trip. It does not appear on the email confirmation which is what I used in the past to keep the res number.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I travel on Amtrak from PHL to WAS and return nearly every week, and I've been using the QuikTrak machines for several years. I've never had a problem, but Amtrak has improved the machines over the years.

For example, for some time now it has been unnecessary to enter a res #, if you use the same credit card you used to book the tickets on line. If you have booked multiple trips with the same card, they'll all show up on the screen and you simply choose the one you want to ticket. The whole transaction takes maybe 30 seconds.

The bar codes are even a bit quicker, but really unnecessary if you just make sure to activate the machine with the same card you used to book the reservation.

I do wish Amtrak would move to electronic ticketing. Then I wouldn't even need to stop at the QuikTrak machine.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page