RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Obama mentioned trains

Author Topic: Obama mentioned trains
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how often U.S. presidential candidates mention trains after winning the presidency, however, Mr. Obama in his victory speech yesterday stated that Mr. Biden takes the train from Washington to Delaware. Not much I admit, but perhaps a good omen for U.S. passenger rail.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could simply mean that the NEC's safety is assured. Biden doesn't take a train home to Scranton, after all.

If Obama had done something like get the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin rebuilt while engaged in community organization in his home town, or been a leading force in the MWRRI (especially the Hiawatha leg) long before he became a US senator, I would have pegged him as pro-passenger rail in particular.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One fact most of us seem to forget is that regardless of what a president says he will do much of it depends on congress says be it "yes' or " in your ear , Mr. president" Isn't that what the check and balence is ?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point train lady. Let me add this as I did in a previous post: neither house has enough of a majority to push any agenda. The Senate is not filibuster proof. Obama has a lot on his plate right off the bat. Being pro Amtrak is not the same as being pro-sane priorities. I say we won't see anything significant early in his term. If dems can hold on mid term, then we may see a more bold agenda. In the meanwhile, dems are NOT going to make the same mistake they made in Clinton's first term. They do not want to see another 'Contract With America' disaster. Obama may have dominated in the electoral votes column, but the popular vote was much closer. If the economy does not take front and center, bye bye states like Ohio. There will be a red storm of a madnitude which we have not seen since Regan.

Our best hope for Amtrak is that it play the patient, but available maid of honor role: well worthy of attention, but not at the center of what's happening.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In one of Obama's campaign speeches (not in Montana), he mentioned how necessary passenger rail was to people in remote areas such as northern Montana. At least this would indicate he is aware of one of the arguments for the LD trains, and might not support discontinuing them.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page