RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Points to Burn: Need Advice

Author Topic: Points to Burn: Need Advice
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Railfans,

It's been a while since I've been here. You have been in my thoughts, especially since good ol' Joe Biden has become our Vice President Elect.

To celebrate this happy occasion, I plan to treat my sister (and myself) to a one way business class trip to Washington DC on the Acella, using 16,000 (one way for 2) of my Amtrak points. We plan to leave NYP at 9 a.m. on Mon., Jan. 12, arriving 11:49 a.m.

Our return trip will be on a regional train (6,000 pts, rt for two)leaving on Jan. 14 from WAS at 12:05 pm, arriving NYP at 3:18.

My sister (a New Yorker) is concerned that the return trip might be crowded and that we might not even get a seat, so she wants me to spring for first class, which simply isn't going to happen.

My question for you all is: Can you recommend a return trip from WAS to NYP that won't be crowded? Should I select a different time? I noticed that the Vermonter goes from WAS to NYP at 8:10 a.m., would that be a better option than a regional train?

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn at 1501 Rhode Island NW, incidentally. (Does that have a hot tub?)

Thanks for whatever routing advise you can give me. And for all the support and advice you have given me in the past.

Cordially,

Chuck Reuben

--------------------
Please visit "Chucksville" at http://www.chucksville.com and sign my guestbook!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck,

I don't have an answer for your question but it's nice to see your byline here again.

Was also nice on a San Diego - Memphis rail trip in March to have a look at Amtrak's improved Albuquerque quarters.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, it is hard to tell what the situation will be at that time. I suggest that you simply get a red cap at the station in DC.He will take your bags and board you ahead of the crowds. Another possibility is check to see which through trains are coming up from the south and continue to NYC. Then you take the Metro to Alexandria, board there and when you get to DC people will be getting off and you can get a seat before the DC crowd boards.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, traveling in the middle of the day on Wednesday in January is not exactly "peak" time. You will have no problem getting seats together out of Wash DC. Enjoy your trip.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but don't forget it is the week before inaugration and the city is crazy with people .Also it is Martin Luther King's bday and they celebrate here for a week.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be more concerned about getting two seats together on the Acela on the trip to Washington. When departing trains are announced at NYP, there is a mad stampede to the gate and if you find yourself at the back of the line, you may be out of luck. It would be to your advantage to watch the arrival monitor (there's one in the Acela waiting area) for the 8:45 arrival of train 2151 from Boston. They usually post the track numbers on the arrival monitor a few minutes before the train arrives. If you move quickly, you may be able to get to the platform, via the lower level, before the train comes in.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting seats together on #176 for the return trip. Because the train originates in Washington, all you have to do is get to the station about a half hour before departure and the gates are posted well in advance. If you'd like to pick up some lunch to eat on the train, there is an excellent food court in the station's basement. This way you won't have to eat Amfood.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,

Thanks for the thought-provoking replies! I'm glad I haven't printed out my tickets yet because you've all given me so much to think about.

The porter idea is excellent. I remember a very friently porter in Toronto who got me to the head of a 1/2 mile long line, into an excellent seat, for only $5 or so.

And now you've got me thinking about changing my ticket: Going regional to DC and Acella back to NYP. I really don't want to deal with a mad rush of humanity.

What I really don't understand how there can even be a mad rush to ride on the Acella. Have any of you checked out what it costs to ride on that train? Are there really that many wealthy people around these days?

At any rate, I need more information from you generous souls. Specifically:

What is the best side of the train to ride on when I get on the Acella? I suppose now there are two sides I must consider: NYP to WAS and vice versa.

Also: I need to know of some decent places where my sister and I can eat. Personally I am partial to all you can eat Chinese joints. I am also fond of all you can eat salad bars.

I want to go to the air space museum. And now I'm hearing talk about a Capitol tour, but I don't think that can compare to the time I walked through the capitol when I was just a college boy.

I think my sister wants to go to the National Portrait gallery.

It will be the dead of winter. Can anybody recommend a tour perhaps.

Thank you....

Chuck

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I want to go to the air space museum. And now I'm hearing talk about a Capitol tour, but I don't think that can compare to the time I walked through the capitol when I was just a college boy."

Chuck, the new capitol visitor's center is opening to the public on December 2nd. That is definitely something you should see, its underground, has lots of exhibits, etc (i work on capitol hill and have been in there twice).

http://www.aoc.gov/cvc/index.cfm

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Chuck my original post got lost somehow so here I go again. Check out WashingtonDC.com. It has just about all the info you need. I would also check out the tour Mobile. For one fare you can ride all day and get on and off wherever yo want . I think Information at the station has all the info you need. As to the train..I sit on one side gong up and the other coming down.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck:

Air & Space! Please be sure to say hello to the Vin Fiz and the Tingmissartoq (my favorite antiques) in the back hall upstairs. And it's worth going out to the Udvar-Hazy aircraft museum just outside Dulles airport -- they have an incredible number of historic airplanes.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page