RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited Trip in 2009 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sunset Limited Trip in 2009
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your feelings about the matter, dress seems to be extremely casual, regardless of coach or sleeper accommodations. You might not be the only one dressed in business casual, but you will be in the minority!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, just don't wear a wife-beater undershirt and jailhouse baggies, and you will fit in just fine.

Train dress is always Tourist Informal, whether in sleeper or in coach. My normal attire while traveling is clean jeans and knit shirt (in summer) or sweatshirt (in winter). My wife dresses a little better, but she's still well within the Traveler Casual range.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott--

Just as people no longer get dressed up to fly they no longer get dressed up for the train. You will certainly be fine with "business casual". What you really want to be is comfortable.

I'm old enough to remember when going on a plane or train meant "Sunday" clothes. I can also remember my first plane trips as a "non-rev" (pass rider). Coat and tie were mandatory for males and dress or skirt and blouse (no pants) with hose and "nice" shoes for females. The rules changed with the times when management realized the "non-revs" were starting to stick out in the crowd.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SBALAX, I know what you mean about non rev. I have benefits of non rev with an airline who shall be left nameless but is red white and blue based in DFW. We get to dress business casual and I always dress business casual for a flight when I am in first class as a revenue passenger.
Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dress is casual and the sleeper and coach passengers are mixed together although not too many coach passengers eat in the diner. It is expensive, especially for what you get.

And yes, they will run out of food. My pet peeve.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottC4746     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advise everyone.
Posts: 89 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ny first sleeper ride, I got on wearing a suit. When I got off, I was back to my standard college years dress of slacks and buttoned shirt. This was before pig sty sloppy became a standard campus dress.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
I am thinking of doing the return trip (LAX-NOL) Labor Day Weekend. Any comments on that weekend leaving LAX on Friday?
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im trying to work on a one day coast trip from either end, and cant seem to get the fare under 400 dollars.
Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by birdchops:
im trying to work on a one day coast trip from either end, and cant seem to get the fare under 400 dollars.

Which coast?
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading with interest the above regarding proper dress aboard the train.

Many times I have proven that if you are dressed properly you get more repsect and attention and that goes for train travel too.

The wife an I made a trip recently via Amtrak. We were in the sleeper section. Got on in Philly in time for supper and as usual I dressed in a blazer with pinstripped shirt. I did not wear a tie which is rare for me. My wife was dressed in a very sharpe blouse and slacks. I realize that it was easier for us to dress in the sleeper than those in coach, but just the dress alone is enough to make a huge difference in being waited on. Even in the lounge car you could tell that you did get a bit more attention if you were dressed neatly.

Breakfast and lunch we both dressed very neatly and watching others in baggy pants and wrinkled sweat shirts did not get the same kind of service. Maybe the staff looked at us as potential big tippers though.

It does make a difference no matter where you are, so if you can, dress sharpe. It does pay off in the end. That's my take on it.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea on principle, Joe -- but my typical AMTRAK-riding garb is shorts and a T-shirt, deck shoes with no socks. I have never felt like I was getting "worse service" than others -- there may be some other reasons why certain people seem to get "better service" than others as well (like maybe their attitudes in general.......)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottC4746
Member # 3323

Rate Member
I am just getting all excited about my trip now. Only 51 more days until I hop on the train and settle into my living quarters for the next 44 hours or so.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page