RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » any hotels within walking distance of Emeryville station?

Author Topic: any hotels within walking distance of Emeryville station?
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a trip booked on #5 early next month. Four days on the train..pure heaven! We are booked into Oakland,but I d rather get off in Emeryville where the CZ terminates. Any reasonably priced hotels near the station? We currently have reservations at the Jack London Inn in Oakland,but many posters have too many horror stories about that place.

Any other stops where the hotel is very close to the station? We need to get on the BART sysytem the next day, so if anybody has any suggestions..Martinez,maybe? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are at least two hotels directly across the tracks. There is a pedestrian bridge, with elevator, over the tracks for easy access. Unfortunately, I don't know the names of these hotels, but someone here probably does.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woodfin Suites Hotel:

http://www.woodfinhotelemeryville.com/

Thank goodness you are changing hotels! You will be so happy that you skipped the Jack London Inn. I was worried for you.

When you get off the train in Emeryville, look back and you will see the pedestrian walkway that goes over the railroad tracks---you can't miss it. You will see the Woodfin Suites off to the left. No need to describe how to get there as it is clearly visible. Good job on changing hotels!

There is also a food court inside of the building directly across from where you will come down off the pedestrian walkway. You will see the book store at the front entrance (I think it's a Borders Books). If you go inside there, you can access the inside of the rest of the building and you will see the huge food court if you want to grab a quick and cheap bite to eat.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh---I forgot to answer your BART question. Well, you will not only be happy that you are staying in Emeryville for your hotel, but you will also be happy that BART is much easier to access from here. There is a *free* shuttle bus that is called the Emery-Go-Round. Here is their web page with schedules:

http://www.emerygoround.com/

The bus picks you up directly in front of the Emeryville Amtrak station, and takes you over to BART---all for free! Piece of cake.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
And actually, it looks like the Emery-Go-Round bus stops at the Woodfin Suites Hotel. I don't quite understand the schedule on their web page, but I'm sure the front desk staff could explain how it works.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit late to the party BUT I spent the night at the Jack London coming in off a tardy CZ and catching the bus down to the Oakland station in April 2006.

While I would not go so far as to say the Jack London was a horror story at that time, it was clearly beginning to lean toward seedy......worn out carpeting, scummy water in a closed swimming pool, stale food at the continental breakfast, mildewy smell etc.

Given what I'm seeing here, I'd say it's continuing it's decline and I wouldn't plan to stay there again. I'd either pony up for the Woodfin Suites OR stay at the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento and commute in via Amtrak transferring to BART at Richmond.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't stayed at the Woodfin Suites, but it certainly looks nice. You'll have to decide between a room with a view of the UP and a room with a view of San Francisco Bay (railfan's dilemma).

There is also a decent Marriott Courtyard just a few blocks from the Emeryville station, and the free shuttle will take you there. Emeryville seems to be an up and coming area, while Oakland seems headed in the opposite direction. I stayed at the Jack London Inn several years ago, and it was okay but certainly not memorable.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do decide to stay near the Oakland Station I would chose the Best Western Inn at the Square http://www.innatthesquare.com/ over the Jack London Inn. It is a block or so further up Broadway and the two times I've stayed there it has been more than acceptable. They also were giving out discount coupon for the onsite restaurant which was very good. The Waterfront Hotel at Jack London Square has also just had a renovation and you might be able to get something good there.

Frank in wet, cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
The Best Western that Frank is referring to is the one I was talking about in the other thread. This is where the Amtrak crews now stay since the Jack London Inn has become such a dive. The restaurant in front is the Buttercup Pantry----best omelets around! [Smile]
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
And speaking of the Jack London Inn....I'm sitting here watching the 10 o'clock news on Channel 2 (KTVU in the SF Bay Area), and they just did a story on the hotel. They said that they are about to open up the hotel to the homeless and will have 50 rooms available.
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big thank you to all of the posters who warned me about the Jack London Inn. I had no idea it was such a dump. Looking at their website you would think they are a showplace. The fact they are opening 50 rooms for the homeless cemented the change. We needed a hotel close to the Oakland or Emeryville station. The Emeryville hotels close by were a bit pricy, but I ended up making a reservation at the Inn at Jack London Square, which was the same price as the Jack London Inn. The names are similar. I could see how they could be confused.

Two weeks until we board the Zephyr! Harrisburg Pa to Oakland. I ve been on many long distance trips, and I never tire of them. It's always an adventure. We will be spending three days in the Bay area, then flying to Fort Lauderdale for a few days with the folks and then taking the Silver Star back to Pa. I would have taken a train from Oakland to Florida,but time does not allow.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip. There are a couple of nice restaurants across the tracks from the Best Western on the Bay. One, the name escapes me now, has some very good and reasonable "Early Bird" specials.
Also, the restaurant at the motel was very good the last time I was there.

The nearest BART station is a walkable distance up Broadway. I felt comfortable doing it during the day but would not try it alone at night. You do go past some sort of Police facility along the way, though.

Oakland's Chinatown is off to the right as you go up Broadway.

Frank in warm and sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
The restaurant is Kincaid's http://www.kincaids.com/index.php?cook=1&locations=Oakland The "First Seating" meals have gone up to $25.00 for three courses. M-F 5-6PM.

Hahn's Hibachi was also good. It's closer to the tracks and the Best Western.

Frank in sunny, warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page