RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Chief: Service May Stop In July

Author Topic: Amtrak Chief: Service May Stop In July
StonewallJones
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for StonewallJones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thu Jun 6,10:45 AM ET
By LAURENCE ARNOLD, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Amtrak's new president is warning the cash-strapped passenger railroad will shut down all service next month unless it gets a $200 million loan in the next three weeks.

President David Gunn is hopeful the loan will come through, Amtrak spokesman Bill Schulz said Thursday. As collateral, Amtrak can use $200 million of the federal appropriation it expects to receive when the new fiscal year begins Oct. 1.

Schulz urged passengers holding reservations in July and beyond to keep them.

Amtrak's governing board was meeting in Washington Thursday. Schulz said Gunn intended to propose a sweeping company reorganization reducing the number of "vice president" titles from 84 to about 20.

Gunn also wants to consolidate Amtrak's three railroad operating divisions — Amtrak West, Intercity and Northeast Corridor, which are now distinct business units — into the company's overall management structure. Gunn said in a memo to employees that he wants Amtrak to "move back to a traditional railroad structure. ... We will have an operating department, a mechanical department, an engineering department, etc."

Under the plan, Schulz said, the existing division offices in Chicago, Philadelphia and Oakland, Calif., will remain open, but only to handle local operations, not to make policy decisions.

Gunn took over Amtrak on May 15, succeeding George Warrington. He previously ran transit systems in New York City and Washington.

Gunn announced the $200 million shortfall in a letter Wednesday to Amtrak employees. He said Amtrak still is asking for $1.2 billion from Congress for the fiscal year beginning in October.

Needing money to survive the final months of last year, Amtrak mortgaged parts of New York's Pennsylvania Station to get $300 million, and its debt has skyrocketed in recent years as Amtrak has struggled financially.

Amtrak backers in Congress are pushing an additional $55 million for Amtrak to repair damaged cars and locomotives.

In a letter to Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a leading critic of Amtrak, Gunn said Congress was wrong to declare in 1997 that Amtrak must wean itself from annual operating subsidies from the federal government by December 2002.

"For the past few years, Amtrak pretended it was on a glide path to self-sufficiency and maintained that fiction far too long," Gunn wrote to McCain. "No passenger railroad system in the world operates without some form of public support. Why Congress thought Amtrak could somehow become free of public support escapes me."

The House Transportation subcommittee on railroads approved a bill last week that would give Amtrak the $1.2 billion it requested for the next fiscal year, plus $775 million for security and safety upgrades.

The Senate Commerce Committee has approved a bill by Sen. Ernest Hollings, D-S.C., that would keep Amtrak operating for five more years and spend $4.6 billion a year on improving and expanding rail service.

Posts: 62 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds gloomy at first, but I appreciate the way Gunn is approaching this. ALL trains are threatened, including the NEC.

I also liked his message to McCain. Gunn correctly spreads the blame for Amtrak's problems equally among Amtrak management and Congress. He isn't letting anyone off the hook.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hookedup
Member # 1691

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for hookedup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy this news just fits with the rest of the way my whole day has been going!
Although not a surprise I must say.
So does this mean I should be making alternative plans for my 2 week long cross country trip in July?

Posts: 45 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hookedup:
Boy this news just fits with the rest of the way my whole day has been going!
Although not a surprise I must say.
So does this mean I should be making alternative plans for my 2 week long cross country trip in July?

I can't guarantee it, but this seems like more of the same political rhetoric that has perpetually surrounded Amtrak's financing. If I were planning a trip like yours I wouldn't make alternate arrangements. I am, however, an eternal optomist.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DisbandAmtrak
Member # 1429

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for DisbandAmtrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they really carry through with this threat, I want cash for my voucher!
Posts: 37 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am a bit concerned, since my trip begins June 28th, 2 days before the end of the month. But would AMTRAK really suddenly stop ALL its trains cold turkey like Gunn is threatening? I thought FRA required a 90-day notice for ANY train discontinuances.

It was refreshing to see that Sen. McCain is offering his 2 cents' worth to help AMTRAK -- is he serious?

P.S. At this point, I am not changing any of the plans for my trip, and I haven't been called by AMTRAK telling me that any of my trains will be canceled.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the same time that the ARC was setup, Approx $5 billion was authorized for Amtrak. Only about half was that was actually made available. That approx $2.5 billion would be a nice start towards getting Amtrak back on track.

Reggie

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be traveling on several long distance trains during July. So it definitely isn't welcome news to hear there's a possibility that Mr. Gunn will pull the plug -- although his warning is understandable and he sounds like a no-nonsense person.

A lengthy shutdown is probably unlikely; after all, elections are coming up. But I hope these next few weeks don't evolve into the usual frat-boy game of "chicken," with Congress, Amtrak, and the big banks holding out -- until the bitter end -- primarily to prove who has the most testosterone.

Just be grownup about it, boys. Either sign the check or leave the table so that Gunn can give passengers fair notice of a shutdown. But do it soon. Don't yank America's chain by turning this into another "one-minute-to-midnight" cliffhanger, just to prove who really holds the power.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BTrain
Member # 1687

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for BTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, it seems, the news is optimistic. They most likely get the $200 million, and I don't think this is a 'cliffhanger' issue. Politically speaking, Amtrak is more of an annoyance than a controversy. As petty as they can get on capitol hill, I'll be surprised if there's more than a moderate amount of floor debate on appropriating the money. They have bigger fish to fry-like the reorganization of the Justice Dept.

On another note. I always said about Amtrak, that with friends like Senator McCain, who needs enemies. McCain's response to the Gunn letter certainly raises my eyebrows. Can Amtrak's savior be the very man who is perceived as it's sworn arch-enemy? Maybe Amtrak should offer him a route through Pheonix in return. But, oopps, we would be guilty of creating routes for soley political purposes-the thing he critizes
Amtrak most about.

Posts: 12 | From: Bakersfield, Ca. 93308 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulfnshore
Member # 1201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulfnshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling he (McCain) realized something and Gunn in one word can be described
GENIUS

Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page